Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 klde motor (spare)and my 96 motor just left loose. i just need to know can you put a 94 OB1 motor into a 1996 OB2 car with the same wiring harness? thanks in advance to all with replys. p0pz

·
Registered
32 Posts
This isn't something I've ever cared to read or learn about but here goes!

Engines don't really have OBD. However I think the OBDII has things like extra o2 sensors on the exhaust, and you should use the dizzy that matches the ecu. In essence use the sensors from your blown engine on your new one if they differ. Look out for differences with the coolant neck too. Otherwise I can't forsee any serious problems, just swap a few bits, the core engine will work the same. I'm sure someone could be more specific, I just never cared ;)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
yeah, as marcdh said, engines alone don't have OBD themselves. it's all the other stuff, like emissions, wiring harness, ecu, distributor

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just visually inspect the engines for all their coolant and emission sensors, there shouldn't be any or much difference, maybe an extra coolant sensor, definitely a few extra o2 sensors.

JACK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentleman, I thank you all again for the replys, I was kinda thinking the same thing. So i think what i have in mind is take all the intake and stuff from 96 and bolt it on the 94 long block .to keep all the same sensors, and hope it works. it will be awhile till i post back the results (month) hope to do it in no hurry here. but i will post back, maybe it might help some 1 esle some day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts