Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take your MX-6's to get to operating temp? Where does your the needle point when you guys get to normal operating temp?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like it takes way to long for my MX-6 to get to operating temp, and the needle will get to half way on the guage and sit there, but it just seems to take forever to get there, i think i drove 30 mins before it got there, and letting it sit and idle it raised a little above half, not much but a little, seems like maybe it needs a thermostat....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I put a 180 degree thermo stainless in my car. It sits at the first "e" in t"e"mperature. My car seems to like it. It should only take a few minutes to be up to temp!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Depending on your coolant/water mix and of course the outside temp at the time it should no more than 10 minutes in any situation. I'm running the stock thermostat in mine right now and about a 70 to 30 water coolant mix and it takes about 5 minutes in the summer and about 7 or 8 minutes in the winter and that's to get to full operating temp in both cases.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i think the PO either left the thermostat out, or its stuck open....

the temp goes way down on the highway, but if i'm sitting and idling or driving at slow speeds the temp will get up to about 3/4 of the guage.... hasn't over heated yet... so i'm hoping its just a thermostat.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Go OEM for your thermostat. It is a dual design that I have never found aftermarket in 20 years of looking.

Yeah, they're expensive relative to a regular thermostat. Don't complain, just get the Mazda part.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My car runs at 5/10 bars (digital cluster). And sometimes it takes a while to get there in the winter... I'm running a 50/50 mix and it got pretty damn cold here this winter. :tdown:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thermostat was stuck open...... got an aftermarket one for now, no mazda dealerships here, so when I head to spokane this weekend I will pick one up

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good move. You should notice your gas mileage will improve.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The aftermarket one may be made by the same company that makes the Mazda thermostat ( Motorad ) but it probably won't be a dual stage though. I know when I had a 180 degree thermostat in my car it took quite sometime in the winter to warm up and almost never got above 190 going down the road but in the summer it did not make as much of a difference. The OEM dual stage I've got in now warms up quicker in the winter but does not run too warm in the summer so all is good.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The meter in these cars arent too good after a few years either, this is especially evident on the 1GenA's... i dont trust mine at all, so im gonna hook up a warning light that switches on when the fan turns on...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The meter in these cars arent too good after a few years either, this is especially evident on the 1GenA's... i dont trust mine at all, so im gonna hook up a warning light that switches on when the fan turns on...

yeah i noticed theres something going on with my guage... it doesn't seem ver consistent.... will go up a little bit, then back down then way up sometimes... usually it hovers just below the "E" in "TEMP" and then it will hover right on the "E" and then sometimes it will go up to about 3/4.... my gas guage only works sometimes, i notice if I break hard my speedo will drop to 0 when i'm still rolling at a good speed... My friend has an RX-7 an FC, and he said there were problems with the soldering on the wiring in places, Mazda's from that time are kinda known for that? wondering if thats my problem with the gauges?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Temp gauge should only take 5-10 mins to get to running temp (just over 1/3). Should never go up & down whether idleing or on H'way...thermo stuffed? or....Gauge? Try getting Radiator Flushed in case there is a blockage somewhere!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think when i get the OEM thermostat I will pull the thermostat out and put the housing back on and run some radiator flush through it and clean it out....

Really I'm thinking it might need a new water pump.... I had a similar problem with a car years back and it needed a water pump, low rpm's wasn't enough to keep the coolant flowing.

Do these have plastic impellers or metal ones? I had a B2200 that i changed the block on, and I think one of the pumps had plastic impellers and the other had metal... Plus I don't think the previous owner changed any of that, still has the stock AAS with 2 blown struts that I need to change out when I have some $

1 - 16 of 16 Posts