Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
rosecuvee said:
Is it possible to change timing belt myself ?
Sure is. You'll need basic tools and possibly one or two "specialized" ones (e.g. maybe a puller) you can rent. Do yourself a big favor: get a shop manual (best) or Haynes-type manual and prepare beforehand by carefully reading the steps required in detail. Outline what tools you'll need and any other possible items (e.g. new timing and accessory belts, is it a good time to think about waterpump replacement?...etc)

You can do just about anything you want to your car. You just need to know beforehand what you are about to get into, how much work is involved and whether or not you have the skills and tools to pull it off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car have an 97k miles on it, and I just got it 3 months ago. She changed coil distributor, spark wire, transmission and so on before I bought it over. I guess she also change the timing belt long ago before the car hit 80k ( is it possible to drive this MX6 to 95k without change timing belt ?)

I got worried after I read some of the post on this site, saying that if the timing belt broke during driving, it can bring a serious damage into inline 4 cyclinder engine. So, I am thinking to change the timing belt myself to make sure everything will be all right for another 30k miles.

I do change spark plugs my own but I have never deal with engine before. So, I don't know how the timing belt installation going to be. Does I have to disassemble anything in order to do the timing belt change ?( Do I need to take out the engine to do the change ? ) How long will it take me to change the timing belt ? And how to get a shop manual ? I am thinking of getting a Haynes Car Repair Manual from AutoZone, but does it have any much different from Shop Manual ?

I hope changing timing belt won't give me much trouble. I only have some basic tools on hand. Where can I rent a puller as you mentioned ? Hopefully it will be as easy as changing tires and spark plugs/wires, right ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.