Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 LX with the AAS. I have 4 new bridgestone re930s. I don't like the way that the rear end is prone to come out in high speed turns. I remember that my old passat GLX had more even handling characteristics. I am wondering if the GT's are the same way... I also wonder if the 90-92 gt's with the stiffer frame and strut brace have more even characteristics then the 88-89 gt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In regards to my rear end..

I have never had the rear end slide on my GT, just pushed the front tires to squealing. I have RE900 mud and snow tires on mine. My AWS might make a difference too.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My car has had pretty close to neutral handling for as long as I can remember. I don't know why. Sometimes if the front tires are worn it will push/understeer, but if all the tires are good then it will do a 4 wheel drift. I've only had the back step out a few times, and that was because of slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Only time I had the rear step out was when I hit black ice on Albain Road at 55 mph. That was a fun drive... :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Cant say I like how my rear end behaves right now. I blew out my rear shocks a couple months ago doing stupid shit. O'well more parts to upgrade, how much are brand new AAS shocks? I might go with coilovers and non-adjustable shocks, what shocks do yall recomend? Id like to stay with AAS, but from what Ive heard their too expensive. Id rather spend the money on some coilovers and thicker swaybars.

·
Registered
470 Posts
even thou this is post is old as, (i was looking for anything useful) MX6s are apparently prone to lift off over steer. ie when going round a corner too fast and you lift off the gas quickly. only time i ecer had it happen was going up a fast sweeper which then quickly declined so i was using up all my suspension travel and i had a bit of roll oversteer

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
personally, my ass feels fine.

never had any problems with it. it always sticks to the ground on high speed turns

-meaty

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car handles good now, wasn't doing so well before I changed the struts. As for the guy looking into buying new AAS. The best place is FordPartsNetwork.com they sell them for around $65 a peice.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I broke the bushing that hold my rear sway bar on. while they were broke, I could get my 6 to have the back slide out. Now that I replaced them, I'm trying to slide out @ 55-60MPH, hasn't happened yet!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ive noticed the back end slides a bit in the winter. I remedy this by putting two or three bags of sand in the trunk in the winter. I know this sounds like something to do in a rear wheel drive car, but it works very well (and once i used the sand to get unstuck from a snow bank).

Also... check your tire pressure. I dont know what your putting in there, but the org specs say less presure in the rear. 32fr and 27rear i think. I have always put more preasure than this, but if you keep the rear at 3-5psi less than the front, it might help.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
It's just a strange phenomenon with kenny's car. When I owned it, it had the same behavior. My tire pressures were 32/28, which is reasonable. Even the addition of Addco endlinks didnt change things. I dunno, the oversteer thing to me made the car more fun (or scary, depending on when it happened). My 626 is all understeer though. The rear end dosent do **** no matter how much you try.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have an 88 GT, and my shocks are SHOT, ask antiSUV, but i recently got a rear strut tower bar from a 90 gt, and a rear tie bar from a 90 GT....also Just went from Sears grandspirit 195/60/15 to a set of Nitto nt-450 205/55/15.....EMMENSE differences just on tires!!! before i had anything done my car slide very easily...but all 4, not just the rear end. then i got the rear tower bar and the ass end would squeel around corners at 30mph(ask AntiSUV hehe)...then i got tires, and 43mph they started to squeel....but the back would like to jump around or be just 1 step behind the front in turning....then i got the rear tie bar and now it slides very rarely and evenly when it does, still have those bad struts too!

Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts