Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i got a 94 v6 2.5 liter, i want to do performance things to it, but i am in fear of one thing, and that is that i got the crappy automatic, i have been looking around for a 5spd, but all that i can find are red and green mx6s, sorry but i am not into those colors, one is becuz in my neck of the woods, cops love the red cars, and two i like silver and black hell of alot more, but i am wondering that if i do a intake and exhaust, and i got the idea of polishing my trottle body (how much is this and can i do it myself?? and how?) but would that ruin my tranny with pushing alittle more horsey's into it and should i get the level ten torque convertor for it or will that be a waste of money?? thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
blacmx6 said:
Okay i got a 94 v6 2.5 liter, i want to do performance things to it, but i am in fear of one thing, and that is that i got the crappy automatic, i have been looking around for a 5spd, but all that i can find are red and green mx6s, sorry but i am not into those colors, one is becuz in my neck of the woods, cops love the red cars, and two i like silver and black hell of alot more, but i am wondering that if i do a intake and exhaust, and i got the idea of polishing my trottle body (how much is this and can i do it myself?? and how?) but would that ruin my tranny with pushing alittle more horsey's into it and should i get the level ten torque convertor for it or will that be a waste of money?? thanks for any help
Statistically speaking, your automatic is going fail whether or not you add a few HP with mild bolt-ons. It's just not a reliable piece. You can improve the reliability by changing the fluid, changing the "filter" internally and adding an external oil cooler to it.

The auto can be made to shift much more firmly by either getting a chip for the PCME or PCMT that will modify the torque-reduce logic (the best way) or by the now-famous "IAT mod" (do a search on this: in a nutshell, momentarily disabling the intake air temperature sensor forces the PCME to ignore torque reduce requests from the PCMT and causes very firm shifting...the search will turn up how-to details.) This will help the performance feel of the car immensely (so I am told.)

Go ahead and add the CAI (cold air intake), the exhaust etc. Polishing the TB won't do much for power but boring it to 65mm will definitely help.

Just remember that the ATX is a known weakness in both MX6 V6s and Probe GTs. IIRC, the thing was designed by Ford, the same company that spawned such luminary ATXs as the Taurus, the Windstar and others. It'll likely break sometime before 70,000 miles, so you might as well have a bit of fun with it. A Level 10 kit may improve reliability (I have seen no statistics to prove this out of course) and will improve performance, especially the torque converter but you'll need a great oil cooler if you go that route and the overall rebuild cost won't be cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for the help guys, oh i have already rebuilt my tranny, cost me 2 grand, so nex time it happens i am hoping to have money to swap to manual, but it may be costly, but in the long run will also save

1 - 4 of 4 Posts