1993-94 V6s - Minor problems for 1993-94 years, cheaply resolved.
- Failure mode: is engine cut-out, tachometer instantly drops to zero (loss of ignitor power transistor signal), and only restarting after a short semiconductor thermal reset period during which there is specifically no spark (remove a plug/lead & place on cam cover) - Critical Diagnosis Factor. The failure will repeat increasingly due to degradation of the semiconductor substrate. No ECU code will be set during this period, 1993-94 only affected.
- Ford-UK: Coil 3974598 at £33.15 & Ignitor at 3974599 at £33.15, the TSB is known to all Ford main dealers, Mazda should know too.
- Mazda-US: Complete refurbished distributor, 277$US from Roebuck Mazda, USA, [email protected]. Do NOT pay full price from a Ford US dealer. Factory refurbished includes case, bearing, gaskets & seals, cap, rotor, coil, ignitor. The redesigned power transistor solves the problem.
Easy DIY fit by remove old & refit new, disconnect battery -ve terminal and press the brake pedal, car will reset its own timing. Done, 10mins.
- Failure mode is refusal to release handbrake, this can occur whilst driving, manual release is possible but the caliper will re-seize. See detailed FAQ below for more details.
- Ford/Mazda-UK: Ex-gratia or from the USA.
- Ford/Mazda-US: Remanufactured, 75-90$US, Roebuck Mazda, www.autopartsgiant.com,www.carparts.com. Even if of the old design, life is over 5 years (Sumitomo design, Mitsubishi).
As per MX5/Miata, the deep spark-plug well design requires new ignition leads every 5-6 years.
- Source UK: Mazda Main Dealer, NGK, import from any Mazda dealer.
- Source US: NGK 75$US, Bosch similar, NAPA or Mazda dealer, 50$US for Carparts and Corksport. NGK are fine. Bosch plugs are not ideal in ours versus NGK incidentally, no real benefit from Platinum plugs (don't let them seize re neglect).
A forum community dedicated to Mazda MX-6 owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about restorations, performance, upgrades, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!