Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive already searched this and i have did my research but i still have a few questions. if you have used seafoam does it work?? my car has a very strong carbon like smell after i drive it hard and park it. i know it might be the cc clogged up so im wondering if the seafoam will help this out?? and if you used the seafoam how did you do it?? add it into oil/sucked in through vacuum line/gas tank or how this are the ways looks like most people have used it. thanx

·
Registered
143 Posts
seafoam works wonders but may be harmful to cars with high mileage so once should be enough. you want to suck most of it up through the pcv/brake booster and let it set for 10 minutes. Then run it all out. Check back for the smell. Also check your RHO2 sensor bc if thats out it will give you the same symptoms.

the general warning is that seamfoam may break loose any gunk that is preventing an oil leak. so always do this at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
also make sure you change your oil as soon as your car is done smoking. seafoam breaks down oil...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok my engine is going on 170. also should i put it in through the pcv valve and the brake booster. do you have a pic of the brake booster valve idk which hose that is.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
follow the instructions. if it 'creates' new oil leaks, that's good. it lets you know what needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I sea foamed not too long ago, my pgt has about 130k.

Just suck up about half in a vacuum line that goes to the intake mani, and then dump the other half in the crank case (but it thins the oil so be ready for an oil change).

They suggest to put it in the gas tank too, but I figure they make fuel injector cleaner for that so I picked up some of that for a few bucks at auto zone and used that in the tank instead of seafoam in there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yes. seafoam works well as an injector/fuel line cleaner. It also removes water from your fuel system. it worked wonders on my car though i bought it to try and fix the HLA ended up being a good thing. although the third time I ran it, i found a leak in the main seal so I won't be putting more in until the rebuild. i have to agree with zach although im sad i found a leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so what is the RH02 sensor?? i also read that you should let the vacuum line surp up the seafoam and not just submerge the line in the cup of seafoam.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you want to clean out your engine, you can always add some kerosene to the oil. Let it idle for a while and see if it cleans out those HLA. I heard engine flush is mostly kerosene anyways. Never bothered trying it. Best way to keep things clean is: Rebuild engine, change oil every 5000 with good quality oil for the rest of it's life.

I wouldn't risk putting this stuff into an engine. It's more likely to cause harm than good IMO.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
If you want to clean out your engine, you can always add some kerosene to the oil. Let it idle for a while and see if it cleans out those HLA. I heard engine flush is mostly kerosene anyways. Never bothered trying it. Best way to keep things clean is: Rebuild engine, change oil every 5000 with good quality oil for the rest of it's life.

I wouldn't risk putting this stuff into an engine. It's more likely to cause harm than good IMO.
what's your basis for your opinion?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok sames like real good stuff think imma try and get some today. im still iffy if i wanna put it in the oil cause the problems it can cause so i might just put it in the gas and through vaccum line does anyone know which hose to use??

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would not put seafoam in my oil. On a high mileage engine it could create leaks but even worse you will quickly dislodge sludge that may clog vital oil passages (NOT GOOD) To clean your engine run a good synthetic and change the oil more frequently. This will slowly clean your engine but will be less harmful. You can run it through the pvc valve or brake booster with no problems.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I would not put seafoam in my oil. On a high mileage engine it could create leaks but even worse you will quickly dislodge sludge that may clog vital oil passages (NOT GOOD) To clean your engine run a good synthetic and change the oil more frequently. This will slowly clean your engine but will be less harmful. You can run it through the pvc valve or brake booster with no problems.
it actually breaks down sludge and blockages. But I guess you would have to use it to know that. I love misinformation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it actually breaks down sludge and blockages. But I guess you would have to use it to know that. I love misinformation.
Misinformation? If your engine is badly sludged it will not all be broken down but instead could be dislodged as I already said. And what does it break down into? Maybe sludge just miraculously dissappers with seafoam. I think not. Instead it will move around and eventually wind up somewhere it doesn't belong like the oil pickup. If the engine is relatively clean you'll probably be fine. There's a reason why most manufacturers do not recommend engine flushes. Ive used seafoam through the intake on several cars with good results but w/ 170 k putting it in the oil could be risky.

·
Registered
153 Posts
so what about if you use it all in your tank I am getting bad misfire so i thought old dirty fuel how long should you wait to oil change and do you even have to? not getting any smoke though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seafoam is most effective though the intake. There are better products you can use in your gas such as techron or bg. You only need to change the oil if using it in the crankcase or possibly through the intake if you notice your oil has become very black after the treatment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts