Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MANY PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME TO LOWER MY CAR. BUT I'M NOT SURE IF I SHOULD. I JUST WANTED TO ASK SOME QUESTIONS. WHEN YOU LOWER YOU CAR DOES THE RIDE FEEL A BIT ROUGHER? DOES IT HANDLE BETTER? OR JUST THE SAME? CAN YOU STILL DRIVE IT IN WINTER? IS THEIR ANY DISADVANTAGES OF LOWERING YOUR CAR?

IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER A FEW OF THESE QUESTION I WILL BE GREATFUL.......

THANKS

G

·
A lot of that depends on which lowering springs you get...if you need your car hrough the winter and it snows i would wait til spring to lower it...the ride will most likely be rougher because of stiffer suspension but it will look damn cool and of course you should handle better also, hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much did the kit lower? Any straight side on pics? I was thinking of a small lower (1" or so). How much will this cost?

G

·
if you wanna lower 1.3-1.5" get Eibach springs, well what I have is Ground Control Coilovers which tend to drop 3.5".
But, I also did some custom work to my back struts(I cut the perch), and that dropped it about .5" more! So I get about 4" of drop!
Yeah it's all good but let me tell you, the ride isn't that good, but the car looks and handles awesome!
(just the Eibach springs are $180 I think)
I paid for my GCs $380 (they use Eibach springs)
later

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks! I'm only looking for a 1-1.5" drop. I don't want to loose to much ride. I will look around at the Eibach options. Any suggestions on where to look?

G

·
there is lots of companies on the web, just pick up a Super
Street magazine and there you can find specials on
those springs....I think thats the best way to go

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks! Anybody know how the intrax and Eibach compare? How low will the intrax take me? I'm not looking for height, only around 1.5". Looking for better cornering w/out a great loss in ride.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
To be honest with you, I would go for Eibach Springs and Tokico Illumina struts. The Eibachs are stiff yet smoothe on bumps. If you add the Struts, you can make the ride as soft as you want or as hard as you want.. It's a costyl investment but a good one. Right now I have total customisation. Ground Control Coil Overs and Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable. The setup rocks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
suspension alternative

Springs merely lower the center of gravity, the struts are what make it stiff because it has to counter the increased spring rate of a lower spring. You shouldn't just do springs, you must do both together or else you will get a bouncy, floaty ride.

The handling is much improved with a firmer suspension but the ride does get rougher. You have to decide which is more important. If you lower it don't go too low or else your camber will need major adjustment and your struts may bottom out.

If you only want a small drop, and don't want to spend alot of money you can do what I did. I have a 93 626 and I lowered it about 2 inches with a complete probe GT suspension. Go to the wreckers or jump on the probetalk BB and ask someone if they are willing to sell you there old ones. They might even let you have them for free, they're pretty suportive over there. Because it's a complete assembly the install takes literally 15 min per corner and there is no severe camber adjustment needed. There is also plenty of clearance for the average Canadian snow fall. I used to have a 4" wheel gap now it's only 2". It won't be as dramatic on an MX6 but there is still a difference. Ford tuned the PGT suspension better than any of the others (MX6/626/Probe non-GT). The PGT had been hailed as one of the best handling sports coupes out of the factory which is why I chose it. I have to tell you, if the ride were any stiffer you'd hurt your spine. The struts are about as stiff as you'd ever want to go so aftermarket springs would match up perfectly if you still wanted to go lower.

If you don't want a drastic change in ride comfort. Try a PGT suspension first, it won't cost you anything to try. If you still want to go firmer, go aftermarket springs and you'll already have decent struts. If you still want to corner better go with a larger rear anti-sway bar. Remember going low is only for show, springs are only a small part of the equation. Handling is a lot more complicated than going low.

When you're on a budget you have to get creative.

[Edited by dj petey on 10-13-2000 at 02:20 AM]

·
Registered
488 Posts
Drop heights

Here is a list of the different drops you can get from aftermarket springs.

Tokico 1"
Eibach 1.3"
H&R 1.3"
Sprint 1.8" *added in
Intrax 1.75"
Ground Control 0-3.5"

With any of them you will get stiffer ride the lower you go. If you are using stock struts it will be even worse as you are moving out of the specified travel range, the farther you go the worse the ride. If your stock struts have more than 30,000 miles on them I would recomned replacing them also. Here you have three main choices;

KYB stock replacement, better control
Tokico 'blues' same as above
Tokico Illuminas better control with adjustable valving for tuning your ride comfort.

The stock PGT suspension is also a good option if you want to save money, but with the MX-6 you won't see as much of a drop. You can also get the stock springs for the front of a 2.0 l MX-6 and they will drop the front end due to the fact they are designed for a lighter engine. The rear are the same across the board though. HTH:)

[Edited by Greg S on 10-20-2000 at 11:58 AM]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't forget Sprint springs. They just came out with them, or they plan to in the near future.

Go to http://www.sprintspring.com

Go under applications, and there it is.

A few of my friends got sprint springs for their cars at really good prices. So don't pay attention to the MSRP on that site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts