Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radiator fan on my 1988 MX-6 GT cycles on and off really quickly, as in intervals of 1-3 seconds. It's disrupting the A/C compressor from running full-time, but has little effect on engine temps since the weather is pretty cool right now where I am.

As far as the things that I've checked already, I believe it's not the main cooling relay on the firewall since I can hear it clicking as the fan turns on and off. The thermostat housing mounted switches are all new, except one, that being the black topped high pressure switch. Given the fan's cycling happens whether the A/C is turned on or not I doubt it has anything to do with that. All that leaves is the fan motor itself and the radiator mounted switch at the lower right hand. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Hey John, happy new year and glad the 6 is still kicking lol.

Check the radiator sensor on the bottom doesn't have corrosion, also you might have caught the fan on its way out.

I had a short one time that melted part of the engine harness with relays that controlled the fan that were covered by a rubber squarish cover near the driver side headlight, maybe thats the culprit?

It's hard to know for sure unless u can swap another in its place.

Hope my suggestion helps. Take care.

Found s thread that might help u....

https://www.mx6.com/#/topics/249862?page=2

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Email this place http://www.greensalescompany.com on part E92Z10344D, Its a factory ford TSB kit but will come with a new alternator pulley, crankshaft pulley, accessory drive belt, lower timing belt cover and lower timing belt cover gasket. Price should be around the 65 range or it was when I bought one a few years back

Says they have it in stock

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to Hear From You Again!

Yes, the old red car is no more, although it still resides in my driveway until I see fit to dispose of it. The frame had significant issues and it just wasn't worth driving any longer. However, I found another MX6 GT from a site member and have been working to restore it since about the Fall of 2016. Currently, it's my part-time daily driver, but with a laundry list of things I need to do to it, such as get the windows tinted, install the NOS factory wheels I bought and tackle some things needing different levels of maintenance.

As far as the fan issues go, I'll look take your suggestions into consideration. It's kind of an annoying problem, but mitigated by the cooler weather in this area now. I also wonder if the sensor on top of the thermostat housing has a bad connector plug to it. I can wiggle the plug a bit and it kinda mimics my problem. BTW, thanks for the link, never heard of that place before. I'll give them a whirl and see what they have.

Take Care,

John

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes'm. Check your wiring conn's John. Unless... the cycling is completely repetitive - as in the on/off times are perfectly even. Then you might have a snarky relay, and of course there are (i think) three of them near the battery on that crossbar there. HTH and have a blessed new year.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Yes, the old red car is no more, although it still resides in my driveway until I see fit to dispose of it. The frame had significant issues and it just wasn't worth driving any longer. However, I found another MX6 GT from a site member and have been working to restore it since about the Fall of 2016. Currently, it's my part-time daily driver, but with a laundry list of things I need to do to it, such as get the windows tinted, install the NOS factory wheels I bought and tackle some things needing different levels of maintenance.

As far as the fan issues go, I'll look take your suggestions into consideration. It's kind of an annoying problem, but mitigated by the cooler weather in this area now. I also wonder if the sensor on top of the thermostat housing has a bad connector plug to it. I can wiggle the plug a bit and it kinda mimics my problem. BTW, thanks for the link, never heard of that place before. I'll give them a whirl and see what they have.

Take Care,

John
Sorry, I had sent you that link for the weak alternator output problem you had posted a while back, that's why I sent it, not necessarily for the fan problem though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts