Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4 cylinder, mx6 with 17's and 215-45's. will i be able to put intrax on my car without it rubbing the tire. i am sure somone out there has this setup already, please let me know what you think and your advice on whether i should go with this setup or not.

--thanks, mcbride

·
Registered
291 Posts
well, to answer your first question...

yes, the intrax springs will fit.

However, I wouldn't recommend getting them. You will only see about a 3/4 inch drop. Barely enough to notice. After they settle a little bit, (4-5 months) the drop will become more noticable, but still not very low. I would suggest getting a set of Ground Control Coil-overs. A little more money, but you get adjustability. Which will come in really handy when you decide to go pick up those 19 inch rims down the line...

Best of luck,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3/4 inch drop? they call for a 1 and 3/4 in. drop

are you sure they only dropped your ride 3/4 in. everything i have read on them says that the drop in 1.5-1.75 inches. just curious....

·
Registered
175 Posts
No Offense dude, but, that's bullshit! I just put my INTRAX on today and got a huge difference! I figure it out to be at least 1.75 - 2". I haven't measure totally yet, but, i also have a 4Cyl Mazda MX-6! They are totally worth the money ( I got mine for $150.00 Off Ebay BRAND NEW ) however, would pay the normal amount for them. The ride is tight and I don't think i would pay the extra bucks and get a coil kit! Stick with the Intrax!
The only thing I did was by some new struts. Just because the pressure on them has increased and the original ones will die out fast!

·
Registered
488 Posts
the reason for the Intrax only lowering the car 3/4 of an inchon the 4 cylinder is that Intrax makes two sets of springs, one for the V6 and one for the I4. When you get the V6 set and put them on the I4 the drop isn't as much because they are made for the wieght of the V6 so obviously with the I4's lighter wieght the car sits higher. I don't think htta Intrax brought the I4 set out until later so that may be why some fo the I4 car were sitting higher. As for them fitting with 17" rims there shouldn't be any problem, even withthe slightly oversized tires you have on. I've got the same size and they don't hit the fender at all. The only thing you need to make sure of is the offset of the rim. Stock offset for the V6 is 42mm, most aftermarket 17s come in 30, 35 & 40mm offsets. With the 35 and up offset the tire shouldn't be far enough out to worry about hitting the fender. If you have a 30mm offset there might be a problem. If you already have the rims on and don't know the offset you can look on the manufaturer's web site to see what offsets the rims came in or call and ask them. If worse comes to worse you can alway go to the 215/40R17 tire size that should be run for the correct diameter, but you have to be careful around pot holes. sidewalls that low hve a tendency to bend rims, trust me on this.:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
wow...

I didn't know they started making them for the 4... That's rad... When I bought mine, they only made one set, and that's why they didn't lower very much. I'm gonna have to look into getting some of these new ones. Cheaper than Ground Control.

Lates,

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a v6 with 17x8, lowered with intrax... and to tell you the truth, i am not really satisfied. when i got the rims, my cars looked stock height again. nobody even noticed my car was lowered. kinda pisses me off, but it handles better at least. so i would go with ground controls personally, but it doesn't rub anywhere, which i guess is good.

·
Registered
488 Posts
/x\x6boi said:
i have a v6 with 17x8, lowered with intrax... and to tell you the truth, i am not really satisfied. when i got the rims, my cars looked stock height again. nobody even noticed my car was lowered. kinda pisses me off, but it handles better at least. so i would go with ground controls personally, but it doesn't rub anywhere, which i guess is good.
It actually has more to do with the sleak looks of the car than anything else. I always look at mine and swear that it isn't lowered, then I pull up next to a stock MX-6 and realize that my mirror is almost below their's.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I've got a 96 626 with the Intrax. I know it's not the same body style, but before with the factory springs and 195-70/14 the body sat about 1 1/2 above the tire. Iv'e got 17" wheels with 215-40/17, which is about an inch smaller in height than the factory tires. Now, the body sits right on the tire. It looks good and the difference can definately be noticed. I thought about the ground control coilovers, but I thought about how the car rides now and I decided there was nothing wrong with the Intrax and decided to spend the money on something else for the 626. So if you got em, mount em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts