Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so I'm removing my IM tomorrow to check vaccum hoses/vris. Is it necessary to replace the IM Gasket when taking off the IM? Also, any other things to look out for/tips when doing this? I'm following halfriceboy's IM removal guide from PT.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'd replace the IM gaskets if I were you and if they have considerable mileage on them. They are only about $20 for both. Also, be sure and have the copper crush washers handy for when you remove the fuel rail banjo bolt. Copper washers should not be reused, and you do not want a fuel leak right on top of your engine.

There is a hidden bolt, but most write-ups tell you about this bolt. Be sure and label everything on both ends of the connection. I labelled both ends and also made a list to make sure I got them all when I was done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where do I get the copper crush washers? Are there two gaskets in the IM or are you talking about the rear valve cover gasket also? I wasn't planning on removing the valve cover at this point, so should I just do the IM gasket?

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The IM is a one-piece casting. However, there is a gasket where it connects to the rear head and a gasket at the front head. It may be the same part #, just two required. They may be two part #s. I can't remember as it's been about 3 years.

I got the crush washers from the dealer. They have a step in them.

Why are you removing the IM if it's not to do the rear VC gasket? If the gasket has over 50K miles, you may as well replace it anyway while the IM is off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm removing the IM partially because I want to see how all that stuff works because I'm curious - but also because I think I have a vacuum leak - performance is down on my car - and my VRIS is not working. I will definitely replace the gaskets. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i just took off my IM its pretty easy. it wasnt that easysince it was my first time but if i had to do it again it probally wouldnt take me 15 minutes. just take off the 12 nuts and bolts between the runners. disconect the throttle linkage. remove the hidden bolt, it connects the IM to the head. the bolt is right infront of where all the wires and hoses spiderweb together to make it a pain in the ass to get the bolt out. also i left the fpr hooked up to the vacuum lines and just disconnected the plug that goes into it. the only thing i think i would do differently if i had to do it again is that instead of disconnecting all vacuum hoses leading to the solenoids on the back of the intake, i would have just removed the 2 bolts holding the bracket that theyre on, on. a lot of the coolant and large vacuum hoses wouldnt come off, so imo most of them need to be replaced anyway so i just cut most of them. hope that helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts