Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
literally... "quick kill" - the race was over before i hit third (but i went into 3rd anyways, just for good measure.)

disclaimer: street racing is bad.. bad bad bad... getting a turbo makes one enjoy bad things much more.

This wasnt a me showing up some punk or me laying a smack down on something that 6's shoudlnt be beating.. it was just a friendly race.

2 lane (each way), 2 way street. I pull up to a light.. I am all alone. So alone.

An oldschool maxima (3rd gen - like 89-94 i think?) makes a turn onto the street i am on and rolls up to the light. after a second or so, he toots his horn a little - we roll down the windows - brrrrr its cold today.. And i'm talking to a very young kid in a maxima.. he looked maybe 16-17? "just got my license" age..

He's just saying whats up, asking about the car - says he was looking at them when he was shopping around, but he got the maxima instead, yadda yadda.

The light had long ago turned green and we're still chatting. I live in a very jewish/religious part of brooklyn, so there is NO traffic saturdays..

Then he gets to the question.. "so are those things fast?"

I just say - "well mine is a little faster than most."

He was a nice kid, asked my permission to race!!! "well, i understand if you dont wanna, with cops and all, but mind if we run em a little?"

"sure, just go when yer ready, kool?"

well he went.. poor kid.. couldnt launch for anything.. sat there peeling it out.. he revved it up to i dont wanna guess where, and dropped the clutch.. poor car lol... so i didnt get on it right away, I just kinda feathered it until he lifted off the gas enough to get traction.. as soon as he got back on the gas, I did as well. Now it was my turn to control wheelspin as she passed 4500 rpm... I short shifted into second at this point and just pulled and pulled and pulled... he was very far back. I put it in 3rd for a few thousand rpm more just for good measure. None of my shifts were above 6k today ;). i let off, and gave 2 emergency blinkers - we were coming up to the light.. I didnt want him to be so focused on catching up he forgets to slow down..

I swear - the look on this kids face as he pulls up to the light again was great - smiling ear to ear, he THANKS ME for the race! Says no one ever wants to race or calls him bad words (yes he said "no one ever wants to race when i ask and they call me bad words" lol awwww haha)

I've never heard anyone say "HOLY $H*T THAT WAS AWESOME" as many times as he did.

then he's talking a mile a minute saying things like "yoooo those things are mad fast!" "damn! i shoulda gotten one of those instead! damn damn damn!" "HOLY $H*T THAT WAS INFOCKINGCREDIBLE" then... "I didn't know they were turbo!"

so i said "they're not."

Then you saw the look of understanding dawn on his face.. well this just renewed his enthusiasm "WOW THATS AWESOME! HOW MUCH DID THAT COST! WOW WHERE DO YOU LIVE" etc etc. I just told him about mx6.com - come and visit, etc... i'm NOT giving out my address to anyone in ny who doesnt know me lol.

By this time we are blocking another well into the green light.. the one car behind us honks at this point lol. so we each part ways, he makes a right, i go straight.

All in all, fun little race. Made someone respect mx6's hardcore now, and got to test out the car at a steady 7psi, after my little trip into 12psi yesterday (thats another story.. oops)

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Green Alien said:
hey Goatcrapp have you taken your car to the track yet..? what's your quarter mile time..? and how much did you spend on your turbo kit..?
turbo setup is only a month or so old.. i got it done just in time for myrtle, but alas, not in time for end of season at the tracks. (here in the northeast at least)

i spent alot on my turbo setup lol. all told, a basic non intercooled setup can be duplicated for 1500 (approx) but thats not counting all the supporting upgrades you would need.. ie: your stock clutch wont last long, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
good kill..I can't remember when the maximas started to get quick, was it the generation after the one you raced, or that one?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well good kill i guess, wasnt much competition. Ever since you got your turbo, your kill stories get longer and longer, and more and more funny, good to see, makes for some good reading :).

-Bryce

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maximas were always relatively quick - even the 3rd gens were in the mid/low 15's mtx and mid/low 16's atx - pretty much on par with the mx6 LS's stock for stock... i actually havent raced a stock LS mtx yet, and amlooking forward to - but i used this as a barometer of how i would do.

i raced a couple of ZE'd probes and won quickly as well ;)

i am enjoying 7 psi very, very much.. i should go find some more 350z's lol.. as i was barely pulling on them at 3.5psi :p haha

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Green Alien said:
when its time to go back to the track, get us some videos of it... i wanna see it run.... :)
so do i lol i am SO disappointed that i didnt get it done in time for the end of the season here lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get a FMIC before track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts