Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have searched for about an hour about my six smoking. I loose about a 1/2 quart every 1000 miles and I can tell that it is burning oil because on the back of my car there is a black film around the tail pipes. I am not leaking oil I dont think I have checked the spark plug wells and all of the VCG amnd such. Anyway when I checked my spark plugs there was no sign of oil burning. Is this a way to check for oil burning or not? I was also wandering if maybe that meant that I was running rich and if it is is there any way to adjust the mixture?:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oil Burning

Our cars are known for burning oil, as are most high reving import engines. The norm is about 1 quart low for every 3000 Miles for agressive driving. For normal driving it burns about 1 quart every 5000 miles. You sound like you a burning above the norm. The best way to check would be to do a compression test. Do it yourself compression test kits are availble, however a mechanic won't charge much to do it, maybe $25 or so, which is about what you would pay for the kit. As for the black around the tailpipe, that could simply be carbon buildup. If you were running rich you would have detination problems, timming issues, and idle issues.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Go to www.auto-rx.com to see if perhaps you might be able to clean the rings with this stuff. It may just clear away a bunch of crud around the ring pack that may restore the proper tolerances to slow or stop oil burning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts