462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what i've done so far:

Replaced:
Distributor
Spark Plugs and wires
battery
alternator

car cut off in the middle of driving....car cranks and turns but doesnt start...any suggestions??? :lol:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Broken timing belt? (open oil filler cap, and have someone crank the engine while you watch the cam gears. If they don't turn, the belt is broken).

Have you checked for spark? (pull one plug, rest it on the block, and watch for a spark while someone cranks the engine).

Have you checked for fuel? (loosen banjo bolt at end of fuel rail, crank engine and see if fuel comes out).

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Engine codes, have you checked them? Are ALL your connections good to ALL your sensors? AND to the ECU?

Crank positon sensor can cause this...but no guarantee it's the problem...

Now, that said, check for spark, pull a plug, ground it, and see if it sparks when you're turning it over...If not, check the timing belt...easy way, take the top two bolts off the front cover and pull it back, and watch it while cranking...or look under the oil cap at the cams while cranking.

If no all is turning, and looks good, pull a fuel line, preferably the one coming from the pump. Upon cranking does fuel come out? If not, bad pump or other blockage. Replace pump.

If you have good fuel flow, time for compression test :)

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
timing is good, fuel is commin thru fine, getting spark...i'm thinking, praying its the CPS... Ughhh back to the drawing board... Any other suggestions???

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Did you pull the codes yet??

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the exact same problem right now.. I noticed fuel on the exhaust manifold though, I believe there is a broken fuel line/return line somewhere.. check to see if you can see any fuel anywhere. good compression???

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Napalm, there's almost no way to phisically set the timing off far enough to prevent the car from completely starting. At least as far as the distributor is concerned.

Dream...So, it was in fact the timing belt that was broken? If so, how did you ever have spark? Was the timing belt just slipped??

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup...i guess after cranking it so many times it finally killed it....Anyway it'll be a fun project replacing it. ThanX everyone.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Dream Theater said:
Timing belt.....damn it....
Does that mean it's your timing belt?... or are you just repeating what people are saying.

I would pull the distributor cap to watch the rotor spin rather than watch the cams through the oil cap.

If your timing belt isn't actually broken and you just decided to repeat people's responses... does it sound like it wants to start? Have you tried massaging the throttle? Floor the throttle? Etc while cranking?

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
I guess if you want to take three screws and the air box off instead of just one cap :p

Laters
Ryan

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Touche...But what if you don't like the person looking for you :D

Laters
Ryan

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
Did someone get squirted in the eye with oil??
8D Bwahahahaaahahahaa!!! :lol:

That's awesome, really great...

Laters
Ryan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts