Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i replaced the control arm on my car but i need to tighten the front bolt that holds the front bushing in place. I looked in the chiltons manual and they say i should have the car at ride height to tighten it, but thats almost impossible. There is no room to move a wrench. So is it ok to have the car jacked up to tighten that bolt?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Bigjames02 said:
alright i replaced the control arm on my car but i need to tighten the front bolt that holds the front bushing in place. I looked in the chiltons manual and they say i should have the car at ride height to tighten it, but thats almost impossible. There is no room to move a wrench. So is it ok to have the car jacked up to tighten that bolt?
You want the weight on that wheel so that the bushing is not being unduly twisted. When you tighten that bolt, the inner part of the bushing is held solidly by the bolt. If the suspension is at full droop, when you lower the weight onto it, the bushing will twist and may be damaged. In some cases, the torsion-bar effect of the bushing can actually hold the car up a bit.

Find some blocks of wood to put under the wheel and lower the car (safely) onto that, then tighten the bolt up. If you don't think it's right, tighten it best you can and then take the car to a suspension shop with a drive-on hoist, have them loosen the bolt, jounce the suspension a few times and then re-tighten the bolt with the weight on the road wheel.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the problem was that im an idiot, and the self locking nut was turning. When i took thte old control arm off there was a piece i had to reuse on tthe front bolt, its some kind of rubber spacer. The bolt would turn but it wasn' tightening anymore and somehow the locknut got loose. So, i had to take the wheel off and use a box wrench to keep the nut in place, it twas the only way... and use my breaker bar to tighten the bolt.Its on there pretty tight now, but i did notice that the car pulls to the right if i floor it but i think the car needs an alignment badly.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bigjames02 said:
you have to have the control arm at its center of travel so you dont tear the bushing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts