Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gloss Black Machined Akuza Drift AKA 455 Wheel Packages

So I just want to verify these will fit my 6. I would like the 18's, I need the 5x114.3 bolt pattern right? Also, offset can either be 35 or 45, so I would want the 45mm offset right? From what I've read you will need a 42 or more offset. Thanks a bunch guys,
-Grant;)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I had some rubbing over bumps with my 17s and 225/50 series tires in the rear and with my Tokico drop springs

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
youd want 35 offset not 45 offset.

you will need 42 or less offset. not the other way around =)

oh and 235/45 18's are going to be HUUUGE

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I like this picture for illustrating how offset works. I know it is kind of hard to see but it gets the point across.

The offset is the distance between the center of the wheel and the mounting surface of the wheel. Look at the picture and imagine the offset distance getting larger or smaller. Larger would move the mounting surface to the right and smaller to the left.

Now keep in mind that the wheel is always going to remain the same width.

As you change the offset, the mounting surface moves in (lower offset) or out (higher offset). A low offset wheel will move the mounting surface closer to the center of the wheel. Since the wheel stays the same width, the smaller offset will make the "street side" of the wheel move out toward the fender (This is why wheels with lower offsets have larger lips on them. "Deep dish" wheels have a negative offset). If you go with a higher offset, the opposite happens.

A low offset wheel will generally not run into any fitment issues with brakes or struts because you are reducing the amount of backspacing behind the wheel (They may rub your fenders though). A wheel with an offset that is too high may rub brakes or struts because there is too much backspacing behind the wheel.

This is just my general understanding of wheel offsets. I hope it helps. :tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts