Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i just got my NEW stock Foglights installed yesterday...now...I was wondering if there is supposed to be something that goes around the actual foglight IN the Bumper? The reason is that, there is a small gap all around the foglight in the bumper and I think there maybe a rubber peice that goes around it missing! Is this the case?
Also, my friend who installed it did it according to manufacturers specification and the foglights automatically turn off when the headlights come on! We are going to rewire them so they don't turn off but, I was wondering if they will still stay on with Brights on? Later Dudes,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your foglights are fine, there is no rubber that goes around them. Go to Probesport.com and find the technical/how-to section and click on it. Then scroll down till you find "how to rewire foglamps"(www.geocities.com/motorcity/5335/foglamps.htm)and click on it.Our cars are similar to the Probes but with one less wire.When finished you'll have foglights that come on with your parklights and will stay on with your headlights and high beams.Also, if you want to you can open your hood and access the fuse box,remove the DRL relay(green),this kills the daytime running lights with no effect on anything else!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, what your saying is that, the foglights really shouldn't be a total "perfect fit" unless I want to mod them... Coo,
Thanks for the info on the Daytime lights too! Think I'll do that!! Later Dude,

G

·
while on the topic,, I just got mine and went to change the bulb. Is there a trick to opening these things? I've been turning the 3 screws all day long and nothing happens?

(man do I feel like a CanDork)

·
Banned
55 Posts
that's bad..
it's a design gimmick, a screw and a plastic housing.. screw rusts in a couple months, and strips the housing while taking them off. you can pull them carefully, but you have to use some good quality adhesive while putting in. otherwise you'll need new fog lights.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Coming from Canada where we have generous amounts of road salt all winter,I have experience with your problem.While changing a burt out foglight bulb and upgrading from 35W to 55W bulbs,all but one of the six screws came out.Someone at Mazda got the bright idea to put metal screws in metal inserts in the plastic of the foglight!Solution-cut off or drill out the heads of the screws to remove the cover.Then drill out whats left of the inserts and use some plastic drywall expansion plugs cut to fit in the holes.Then use small wood screws(yes I said wood screws)to secure the cover.I have had this done to my car for two years with no problems and the covers come right off.Score one for non- car designer!!!

G

·
very cool slick,,, I'll do this....55 watt? where did you get those,,, I have the replacements from Crappy Tire but I think they are stock wattage

ciao

Mike

·
Registered
212 Posts
Stock fog lights use a 35W H3 bulb.You can buy a H3 bulb with a 55W rating which is what comes in most aftermarket lights.I have also seen 85W H3's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey slink, have you rewired your fogs from the info on that web page you posted, because i read through it and it doesnt seem right, I hope it is, and I dont want to go tearing stuff up and end up finding out that it is wrong. thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I followed their procedure for the most part. If I remember right our cars have one less wire going to the switch due to the Probes pop up headlights. You only have to play with two wires and one of them is orange if I remember right. All you are doing is using the park lights wire(orange) to trigger the fog light relay. Strip but do not cut the orange wire,then find the wire that has power when the headlight switch is turned on and cut it.Use the switch side of the cut wire and splice it into the orange,and tape up the other cut end going to the harness.The other two wires are simply power and ground.Use a test light to be sure!I'd have to rip my car apart to tell you the exact wire colors since its been two years since I did this mod.

[Edited by SLINK on 03-19-2001 at 05:13 PM]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Slink,

I have a 97 and they seem to have done away with the simple DRL relay, any idea how to kill the DRL's on a 97? Ive heard of pulling the fuse but then I loose my climate control and wipers... Anything helps...
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts