Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in Bendigo, on our way home from ice-skating. I was driving my MX6GT, with one passenger. My friend was driving his 1999 Prelude VTEC with 2 passengers. We were both driving automatics (he had Tiptronics). It was about 10PM. We were stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, we were full throttle. I managed to take off slightly better/earlier and managed to pull half a car length ahead straight away. When I turned my head, I could see him slowly lagging behind with each gear change but he would then quickly catch up as his VTEC kicked in at high revs. And then the next gear clicks in and he would lag again until his VTEC kicked in and pulled him back up again. We raced til we hit 110km/hr in a 60 zone and came across a small turn. I decided to shut down at that point for the fear of getting caught by the police. Throughout the entire race, I was half a car ahead with him trying to stay on par with my passenger door. So I was quite happy coming out of it. We had a rather exciting chat about it all afterwards. I didn't expect to do quite this well against a Prelude with VTEC. Afterall, they do have 146kw and my 6 was stock (maybe with exhaust mods, not too sure. What's the stock exhaust diameter on a MX6GT?) at 108kw. But having said that, he was carrying one more passenger so that would have put on an extra 65kg on his weight and I did have better take off. Can't wait to do this again after I have fully decked out my 6!:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Yep. It's pretty common I thought?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Part of this victory is due to the tranny hes got. The tiptronics (type sh model) tend to mysteriously lose power compared to a normal v-tec prelude. on a dyno with a normal automatic and the SH model, the normal tranny was throwing down a consistant 10 horses MORE than the top of the line SH model.

Im starting to not like preludes any more. I raced one in my truck from a 30mph punch, and my truck seriously pulled away from him all the way to 90 when i topped out. The scary thing is, hes running a fart pipe, intake, pulleys, and a V-TEC controller. The honda must not have any torque or somthing, cause he definately had the horsepower advantage.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I had no idea the GT's came with automatic. I thought the whole point of the GT was to be more of a driver's car. I guess it has all the other toys when I think about it so why not auto too?

YZF is right about the Prelude. I toyed at getting one a while back. I thought the hp loss was on all type SH Preludes vs. regular v-tec regardless of trans. Something to do with traction control unit or differential or something.

G

·
SH vs V-TEC

It probably is the traction control that drops the power on the SH model. Its like a continuously variable gearbox between the differential and one of the half shafts. I can see where that would drop the power but it makes the car handle better. The SH model feels like its rear wheel drive when you get in the corners!

·
Registered
342 Posts
not in australia. i believe only 1 in every 3 mx6's(turbo's) are manuals, while the rest are auto's. maby coz it was marketed as a luxo coupe and that they got a bad rep for being a bit of a handfull, esp in the wet. the auto was the smoother option.
btw, before i got my 91 gt mtx, i had a 90 gt auto. very good off the mark with a tall first gear and hold button ect. 5sp just torches}) on the highway though, the auto doesn't have the ratio's

G

·
SH Preludes ONLY came with manual transmission and they put down about 7-10 less HP to the ground than a regular manual transmission base model Prelude. The Tiptronic Prelude only has 195hp at the flywheel and it puts down a lot less HP than a 5 speed Prelude does. The Base 5 Speed prelude is the fastest (the one that I have). The SH runs a 15.4 in the quarter mile because of its extra 100 pounds and 7-10 less hp at the wheels. The Base 5 speed model does the quarter in 15.1 stock according to magazines. I have seen a 14.7 before in a stock one that was an SH, but he was a really incredible driver. Don't know how he did it. The AUTOMATIC Prelude with tiptronic does a 15.8+ in the quarter mile. They are quite a bit slower than a 5 speed base. Anyways, go race a base 5 speed and tell me how you do. Later man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts