Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got off work the other night and as i stopped at the red light i noticed a blue mazda 6 that works at the other DC a mile from my work place. well i'm waiting for the light to go green and it finally does. i speed up to catch up. he was already half a mile away if not more. well after about 5 miles i catch up. i slowly pass him and than he picks up speed and start coming up. we hit a red light but we only got a rolling start in 1st at like 10mph. he floored it just right before i did and had a bumper on me. than we hit second and i gain a hood on him. after 3rd i had gained a car on him. i was so amazed but i figured the driver probably sucked. it was a 5spd v6. i've always tried to catch this guy so i can race him and finally on a nice cold night after work i catch him. it was fun racing the new 6. now for the RX8.:E

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
the new 6 is a fun race... they have great torque. when i raced one he kinda stayed with me until about 45 then i left him standing still.

as for the rx-8... well as you probably know, there are two motors. one of the motors is nothing special. the other one is somethin' to be reckoned with. i think you can get it to run a 14.4 or so if you know how to drive right

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mxmissle9 said:
the new 6 is a fun race... they have great torque. when i raced one he kinda stayed with me until about 45 then i left him standing still.

as for the rx-8... well as you probably know, there are two motors. one of the motors is nothing special. the other one is somethin' to be reckoned with. i think you can get it to run a 14.4 or so if you know how to drive right
so how fast is their base RX8? there's a few around here in my town so i'm just hoping to run one before winter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ive got a 93 LS and my dad jsut got a 6 speed rx8 last week and saddly enough it would take us easily over all. It wouldnt destroy us but they are nice and very quick.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
luexiong said:
so how fast is their base RX8? there's a few around here in my town so i'm just hoping to run one before winter.
The base RX8 has a 198hp engne with auto tranny, the top model has 238hp w/6speed manual..
i dont know how fast the auto's are, but i would guess a high 15 maybe??

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
SilverLS said:
The base RX8 has a 198hp engne with auto tranny, the top model has 238hp w/6speed manual..
i dont know how fast they are, but i would guess a high 15 maybe??
theyre very aggressively geared, and the 6speed 238HP one with just an exhaust from what ive seen (1 re ameya or whatever it is, and 2 borla) is capable of running mid low 14's all day with traps at or near 100 all day... despite the revalation that they make less power than originally stated. Unfortunately,. because their powerband highly resembles that of a s2000.... the car barely moves from a dig unless you launch it an an ungodly high rpm

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i meant the automatics, i know the 6spd is fast!!

The hp in north america was wrong because of adding a change to the intake for emitions *spelling?* that lost 8-10hp.. but the 1/4 mile times were done on the noth american version, so they are correct still..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go to rx8club.com and you can learn everything you wanted to know about that car.

I have been spending quite a bit of time over there. I actually debated for a quite a while on whether to find another MX-6 or pre-order an RX-8. I found an M-edition in mint condition with 45k on the dial and couldn't pass her up. I still want an RX-8 but I am real glad I didn't pre-order.

They are slower than anticipated due to emissions trouble when they landed in the states. Mazda was forced to change the fuel maps and the car is running rich, causing pretty ****ty gas mileage as well. Avergae combined is 16-17 mpg.

Mazda, unfortunately has not been able to come up with another fix and officially reduced the HP claim from 249 to 238. They even offered to buy back any car bought before Aug 26th.

The mags all got the pre-production cars with 249 and all hit 14.5 no problem. However, many owners are now struggling to break 15. The best run to date on the site is a 14.5 run on high octane race fuel and powershifting.

I drove a demo car and it was much much faster than my MX-6. I am pretty sure that this car had the original fuel maps.

As far as the Mazda 6s goes. My girlfriend moved to Boston, I moved to Phoenix. Cars are no longer together (I should probably change my sig). From driving both of them, I can't say which one is faster. However, the vertical throw of the shifter of the 6 is insanely long and caused me to miss 3rd a lot, which may explain the outcome. I'd imagine a STS will fix that if someone ever gets one on the market. I think the best posted time I have found snooping around is a 14.9 so it should be a little faster than a lightly modded MX-6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts