Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Fast and the Furious, after Dominic beats Brian in the race he says "granny shifting, not double clutching when you should have been". What exactly does he mean by double clutching? It may be a stupid question,but it was driving me nuts! I think I know what it is, but I am not sure.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Didn't someone ask this question, and I mean word for word, the same question about a month ago:confused:

Granny shifting = foot comes off gas pedal as clutch pedal is depressed, gear-shift occurs, clutch pedal is released as gas pedal is depressed. The way most people shift a manual transmission.

Double-Clutching = foot comes off gas pedal as clutch pedal is depressed, transmission is shifted to neutral, clutch peal is released, clutch pedal is depressed, transmission is shifted to new gear, clutch pedal is released as gas pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I didn't know that was already posted! I couldn't find anything about it. I knew what Granny Shifting was.

So what benefits does double clutching have?? I don't see how it would help in a race.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hmm

That line in that movie is invalid...

lates :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
ok wait that seems wack, double clutching take forever than. i thought:

Double-Clutching = foot comes off gas pedal as clutch pedal is depressed, gear shify occurs, clutch peal is released, clutch pedal is depressed, clutch pedal is released as gas pedal is depressed.(very damn quickly)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thats right. For one double clutching is only used on a downshift and two it is not a faster way to shift at all. So as far as the movie goes it was a bull Sh*t line.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yep... double clutching is used to rev match for downshifting... i was confused when he said that too but he was just being a smartass. oh, and granny shifting is a good thing... unless youre racing for titles. just remember that. if your gonna lose, you might as well give him a fuqed up car... go all out and fix it with his car:D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Transmission soup

yeah, double-clutching: take off in first gear, floor it, as soon as you floor it slam the clutch pedal to the floor and and release it, never letting off the gas. All this done in about a second and a half. I really don't like doing this to any car but it sure can be fun if done in a car like a 5.0L Mustang or equivalent. Well that's my 2 cents. Y'all take care.

JohnathanJ:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts