Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know when u guys race ur mx6's..how much revs do u give b4 u drop the clutch at the start of the race..and wat rev do u change gears at..cause i noticed after about 5k...the power isnt as much???
thanks guys

·
Registered
585 Posts
I give it about 5 grand at a launch but i dont drop the clutch that just makes you tires spin i dont know how to explane it but i get 5k launches without wheel spin

1st gear 55 kph
2sec gear120 kph
3rd 180 kph

sorry i dont know the rpms as for 4th and 5th gear i never had a chance to take it that high most of my races only last till 3rd gear

·
Registered
886 Posts
sik6 said:

1st gear 55 kph
2sec gear120 kph
3rd 180 kph
:eek:

I don't know if Canadian 2nd Gens are geared differently, but in my car redline in 2nd is 103km/h, and 3rd gear is all over by about 135km/h !

·
Registered
90 Posts
sik6 said:
i dont know how to explane it but i get 5k launches without wheel spin
You hold the clutch at the balance point for a while (instead of dumping it) just like normal driving. Beware though, it seriously f***s up your clutch.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
At the strip (Which is the countries worst track I swear), I launch from about 2.5k-3k on 225's. Usually first gear hooks up semi-alright, with a little one wheeling. Then second it usually just keeps spinning to about 4.5k rpm. I usually shift at the latest 5500rpm, usually about 5200rpm though.

I actually found I got a higher terminal mph shifting earlier instead of holding on to each gear a little longer.

I couldnt tell you speed's, usually a little busy to be watching the speedo. Also last time I went out there I was running higher profile 225's than my 195's, results in the speedo being out. Crossing the line it was indicating about 142km/h, when my trap was 97mph, which is closer to 160km/h.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
cause i noticed after about 5k...the power isnt as much???
yes that is very much true. after about 5000rpm, my car doesnt make any extra power. thats just cause of the small turbo our cars have. if u want to fix this *problem* get a bigger turbo that will sustain 2.2L induction at very high rev's.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
ducktape, that isnt absolutely true.. yes a bigger turbo will help the car produce more power up high, but due to the nature of these engines (long stroke etc) they are just not meant to rev.. i think the only real solution to it is the FE DOHC head.

getting back on topic, i usually dial up around 3000 rpm and hold the clutch @ the friction point, pushing it back in/easing off the throttle as the wheels start to lose traction..

·
Registered
344 Posts
The ideal Launch for and MX6 is 2800 RPM, with a 205 tire you should have no probem there you wont spin the tires and you will just go. also from that point it wil not take you long ot get too the powerband and as for shifting I usally go to about 6800RPM since we seem to have a lose of power after that, but in really close races I have held it too 7300rpm just helps it stay in the power band for the next gear. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ducktape, that isnt absolutely true.. yes a bigger turbo will help the car produce more power up high, but due to the nature of these engines (long stroke etc) they are just not meant to rev..
ahh cool. i didnt know that. thx for the info mate :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts