Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Ractive strut bars (front & rear) last week. The rear went on fine in only a couple of minutes and I can feel a definate improvement in the way the rear end tracks through corners. The front bar, on the other hand, doesn't even come close to fitting. It is a good 1/2" too low and won't clear the motor. For the price, it isn't worth it to send the bar back, so I'll probably end up finding someone to cut and reweld the bracket a little higher so long as still tucks under the hood (looks like it will). I don't think 4cyl would have this clearance problem, but I am formally warning all V6 owners to stay away from the Ractive front strut bar.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the tolerances that poor under the hood? Any installation tips or tricks or do you suppose they are manufactured differently?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Its hard to say, i would have to see it. but i just put one side on and tighted the nuts down and then came over and adj. the little peice on the end and send the 4 holes oever the bolts and then put the nuts on there and used a socket wrench to tighten it all down. it rub a little on the Intake manifold. it side right there on it just about. maybe about 1cm or 2 off over it or so. anyway, later

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crazy. Mine DEFINITELY does not fit. Not even an option. The mounts fit over the struts and the bar is the right length, so I'm pretty confident it is the correct part, but there is no way it'll work in its present condition. Back to my world of modifications!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
try to fit it on the driver side strut bolts, and then mess with it on the other side because that would be the side that would not clear the motor, right? does it hit the hood or just the intakemanifold? there is a nut that you can loosen that might help on the bar, try that. anyway, later

·
Registered
42 Posts
BOWDWN - I bought the same strut bar for the front the first week that I had my car and it didn't fit at all. I tried every adjustment and it still rubbed on the intake manifold. Luckily, the place that I bought it from was a local shop and they gave me a full refund. Are there any other good strut bars out there that are a better fit? Maybe Ractive made a bad batch. Later.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just thinking that for the $45 I paid for the bar, its a waste of time and money to send it back to the other side of the country to ****er with returns. I'll cut and reweld and MAKE it work. Good to know I'm not the only one...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
washers???

did you try putting washers to give you some more clearance???

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Washers ain't gonna cut it. The bar is AT LEAST 1/2" too low to clear the motor. If I stacked washers that high, there wouldn't be enough threads on the strut mount to reattach the nuts. I don't think it would be too stable even if I did make that happen. Nice thought, but modification seems the only route to go.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
1/2" ?!?!?!?! damn...ractive needs to get their sh!t together...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The weird thing is, when I initially ordered the bars, the supplier had to order them from (I'm assuming) Ractive (AKA Toucan Industries). They apparently told him they no longer manufacture a bar for my '95 MX-6. They said they only make one for the '93 and '94. Naturally, when the guy relayed this information to me, I called them crack-smokers and told him there was no difference under the hood between the '93 - '97 MX-6. (Yes, I know there are minor differences, but nothing that should affect clearances) He ordered the bar and now it doesn't fit. I had spoken with several distributors before ordering about clearance and verified that the bar works with 4cyl and V6 MX-6s. Bottom line though, is that Ractive DOES need to get their shit together!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts