Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to do a rad flush on weekend, turned the rad drainage plug less than half a turn and she snapped. The anti freeze slowly drained but now what. Any similar experiences or suggestions ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concern is that part of the plug is still stuck in there and that i can't screw it out cleanly. I was tempted to drill it out and then figure out a self tapping solution but thought I would check here first.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ducttape.

Or maybe superglue? Epoxy? Solder? Dremel? Dynamite!

Changing the fluid on the cavalier wagon, I noticed someone along the ownership line installed a valve that you turn, and the fluid flows out. Seemed to work good, no more unthreading and threading the plug.

Maybe drill out enough to grab the old plug piece and twist it out?
Though I don't know how you'd do that without removing the radiator. Or maybe a Dremel? Just bought one of those...seems to be very useful :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Surely you can back it out somehow. Must be a PITA to even get close to it to chip at it or whatever you're gonna end up doing, without removing the radiator.

I don't think he's worried about the loss of the plug, but rather how to get the broken plug out.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Since it's already drained now why don't you just pull it out and work on it? It's not that hard to remove it. I'd either try some vise-grips if there is a little something to grab onto or drill a little hole and buy some easy outs. How hard is the material? Mine is an aftermarket radiator so I don't know if yours is the same material as mine. You could try drilling that small hole and then getting an impact driver (if you have one) and hitting it into the hole. Good chance it's gonna seat itself and back that plug out. I've used that technique many many times on snapped off screws and bolts. Never the radiator though.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
broken rad drain plug

88MX6GT said:
Since it's already drained now why don't you just pull it out and work on it? It's not that hard to remove it.

Best way to repair it is mentioned above. You'll be able to get a good close look at what you need to do. If it's a one-piece plastic plug, it should be easy to replace. There may also be an o-ring on it.
However, if it's the aftermarket style with the brass two-piece valve with the built in "drain faucett", you'll need to EZ out the remaining external part. Chances are that it's locktited onto the rad tank housing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did the same thing, it should be loos enough to spin out with something sharp and if not drill a 1/8" hole and use an easy out, no big deal, yo. It is totally accessable from under the front end.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Urethane, that was the approach I was gonna take after several discussions with others .... thanks, will tackle on weekend.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it. Drilled a hole thru broken plug, jammed (hammered) one of those triangular files real good in there and screwed her out. Cost $ 0 ..... lol ... now I need a plug.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Just a thought but you might wanna make sure you flush that radiator out realllllly well. I dont think it would be good to have metal fillings flowing around through your cooling system. Probably not very good for the water pump.

~rc

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, thank-you, I haven't done the flush yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The plug is plastic, should be fine, not to mention gravity should pull most of the pieces out. The file trick was BRILIANT! (guiness commercial)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts