Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there got one?

Are they legal in Australia or is a state based system? I don't think they're allowed in Victoria

What type of radar to Aussie cops use? Do radar dectors pick up speed cameras?

Are the yank ones any good? They seem to have a lot of bands covered and are really cheep - like $50 US or so on ebay.

Do the stealth VG-2 undetectable facilities work here in Aus?

Anyway, I hope someone out there knows.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think I created a thread about this a while ago had a few replies on the topic but ill sort of give you the info i found out.

* Radar Detectors are Illegal in all states of Australia to have in vehicle.

* Radar detectors can legally be purchased from Queensland & Canberra.

* They can pick up all forms of "RADAR" guns

* They do not work on Speed Cameras

* There is a Radar / Laser Detector on the market which will pick up Radar Gun and Laser Gun Speed Detection

* If found with a Radar Detector in the vehicle the detector will be confiscated and owner will be charged for possession of illegal device and may also face a court case.

* Police in Australia use Radar Detector Detectors, not all police vehicles are fitted with these devices.

* There are also anti Radar Detector Detectors available on the market which have Radar Detectors incorporated in them (cost ~$800+)

* There are hard wired Radar Detectors and also Portable Units available.

I sure want one but dont know what type to go for and some of the costs are ridiculous.

G

·
I have my old detector sitting in the wardrobe. The fines for being caught with one in the car are horendous $750+ (& that was over 10 years ago when they were first banned in NSW.
One thing that has never made sense to me; how can they detect a passive (receiving only device), particularly when you consider the transmitting equipment in today's cars; mobiles, GPS etc. I was told & it could be a 'wives tale' that the only 'detectors' are the police gauging who is slowing when approaching a radar point.
Any thoughts anyone? :confused:

G

·
i once worked for a company called stage co, they were responsible for fitment of highway patrol cars in all my time i never saw a seperate equipment fitted for the detection of radar detectors unless its incorporated into the radars themselfs?
whilst driving around in sydney i constantly see cars with something that looks like a radar detector on the top of dashboards what is it as i dont think they are detectors??

·
Registered
672 Posts
1 good thing about having friends in the police force is finding out the dirt on these sort of things.

Now my buddy Tom was telling me how the main vehicles which have Detector Detectors are highway patrol. and its rare for suburban police in Victoria to be fitted with devices.

As for how these little gadgets work i think its something along the lines that since they emit some sort of RF signal which inturn reflects off objects returning its own signal & the detector signal, not sure about the technical side of it.

I think if i hunt hard enough ill find out some of the dirt on how these sweet babies work. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the good infomation Darko.

I'll look into it a bit as well - ebay has HEAPS for sale and they're real cheap (50-60 US) although you could triple that to get it in $A landed by the time you include freight etc.

OI DARKO!! Why haven't you got your name down for the Melbourne cruise man???

·
Registered
672 Posts
ricdanger said:

OI DARKO!! Why haven't you got your name down for the Melbourne cruise man???
I dont have a running vehicle, as the saying goes "HAVE CAR WILL TRAVEL".
I need to get a Auto Tranny in my car :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Radar/Laser Detectors are legal in WA and NT so if you want to buy one, you will have to get it from there. The link below is a place in Perth that sell radar/laser detectors so if you want to get one, you will have to purchase it in WA then get someone to bring it over to where you are. Do not try sending it via Australian Post 'coz I tried that and it got confiscated ($600 down the drain). I heard the Bel Vector LR AU.NZ was the best and cheapest for detecting speed camera's. If a laser warning comes up, you would probably have been caught already so these things are really for speed camera's.

http://www.goparts.com.au/radar.htm

·
Registered
672 Posts
How do you mean confiscated??

Does AusPost go through the good or something?? Coz I was thinking if they are legal in WA, I could get an old girlfriend who i had a fling with to send one down for me.

:)

·
Registered
672 Posts
hahaha Ric if only I could still pull them in like i used too...

:) hahahaha

·
Registered
539 Posts
Confiscated as in it never got to me nor was it sent back to the sender. They basically scan all parcels and any parcel containing prohibited goods will be confiscated. I am getting a friend to bring one back from Perth for me so hopefully I wouldn't lose this one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
DRU842 said:
One thing that has never made sense to me; how can they detect a passive (receiving only device), particularly when you consider the transmitting equipment in today's cars; mobiles, GPS etc. I was told & it could be a 'wives tale' that the only 'detectors' are the police gauging who is slowing when approaching a radar point.
Any thoughts anyone? :confused:
The way that police detect your radar detecor is with VG2. I have a Uniden radar detector that picks up X, K, Ka, Laser, & VG2. It is also VG2-undetectable, which means that when the police try to see if you have a radar detector, it blocks their signal & they can't tell. It is a rare thing to pick up VG2 here in the US, but it has happened to me a couple times & boy is it scary (Uniden decided to use the craziest sound to warn you about it). The best thing you can do is set up your radar detector in a place where it is very hard to see (getting a battery operated one would mean that you wouldn't have to hide the chord either). My radar detector has served me well & helped me avoid many a ticket. As far as what to look for: I usually ignore X because it is static (no police use it anymore). I usually get a weak K or Ka signal that builds up to full strength when a cop is coming (but K & Ka are sometimes static from stop lights or buildings with automatic doors). Unfortunately, both times that I got VG2, it just came on out of nowhere (I think that's how it works; there is no signal strength for VG2, it just comes on). I hope that this explanation of radar detectors can be of some service. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts