Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After days of looking at the summit racing catalog, I decided to replace my radiator fan. --(Just the blades). Nothing wrong with them. the blades in the catalog looked enticing, and promised hp gains and better performance. 10mins after placing the order for two 13in blades, I call summit, and the rep tells me that they are all clutch fans/blades and wont fit into my radiator. Imagine the rage that boiled within me. :damnmad: I cancelled the order, and spoke to another rep who said that it might fit, but I would need a smaller diameter, and he suggested 12in. And so I placed the order again for the 12in. 20mins later, I spoke to a third rep who said that it is very unlikely that it would fit. He said they only sold the fans as a complete unit. That clutch blades wouldnt fit.
I couldnt believe that noone changes the blades alone. I mean these are lightweight alumium blades, and I felt that they were lighter, and would be more effective than the stock plastics.
My questions: 1). Has anyone replaced their blades alone. 2). Would the clutch blades fit? 3). Would changing the blades have any noticable effect (performance wise)?
thanx fellas

·
Registered
452 Posts
Our cars have the fan blades attached to an electric motor that is thermostatically controlled and also turns on with the AC. When Our fan blades are off they do not spin and have no effect on the engine. When on the effect is minimal electrical drag, however the fans are needed to prevent overheating. The Summit blades are for inline mounted engines where the fan is attached to an engine pulley and has a clutch. There is no need to ever change the fan blades on our cars unless the motor wears out, which rarely happens. Even if they could be made to fit you will probably not get any benefit from this modification.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts