Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need that intake resonator? What does it do?
I think Ill take it out...

I was gonna make some custom piping for my Ractive filter and replace the stupid hose that goes nowhere. Where is the best place to put a scoop to get ram air induction?

BTW, the car is an 89 mx6 gt 4ws.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i took the resonator off of mine. it does nothing for performance, but it does make the exhaust a little deeper at the high end.
for a hood scoop, i am using the dryer duct hose running out the stock hole down under the car. using a dryer vent that goes on the side of a house for the actual scoop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jake, Do you have an Exhaust System. If so where did you get it? an who is it made by?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have been thinking about a scoop for some time now. I have th stock box with a K&N drop in filter. Because of the high heat in the engine bay I want to continue to use the stock box for my turbo.

One idea that I have is to go straight out the side fender where the stock box tubing goes and put a scoop right there on the side of the car right in front of the front wheel. This way the air is directed right into the stock bos which is really only inches away.

What do you think? You will have to find a pretty small scoop though. One that is about 4 inches wide. Other wise it will overlap the fender flares.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I kind of remember them. They were quite small and squareish in shape. Right?

Do you think they would fit on the side fender on the flat area in front of the wheel.

What do you guys think of the scoop idea I memtioned above for the side fender???

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, he is my hero. :D Ever since I saw his website, I've been wanting to make my car look like his. I love the probe wheels. I love the hood scoop so much that I got one of a junker 300Z, 1984 turbo. Whenever I get the money for a paint job, I'll mount it. As of now, it's primer black. I really hope he believes that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

·
Registered
666 Posts
By the way, he runs the Yahoo MX6 forum.
At least I think he does :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm going to test my abilities of running cold air induction from inside the fender this Sunday. I took out the resonator box today from inside there. Talk about a weird airflow.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I dont want to use a cone filter. I plan on using the stock air box with a K&N drop in filter. That is why I was thinking about putting a scoop on the side fender since that is right where the tube for the stock box is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also consider the front sidemarker hole in the bumper cover on the airbox side...

There are two pieces to the resonator setup. One is a straight pipe from the airbox that points towards the front end (a 2" pipe), and the other is the resonator box that drops below it. I think if you were to just take off the resonator box and block the 1" tube that was leading to it, keep the 2" straight pipe, you'd have better airflow coming from the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Better air flow

Except that stock tube terminates behind the turn signal light. How much ram air is that??

Id take the stock tube, cut it, run drier hose down to a duct in the bumper. You dont really want/need a scoop to catch heated air flowing over the hot hood when you have cold air coming from the front of the car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How would it "terminate" if air was coming in? You can just run hose from the tube down to an inlet.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
terminates

Because it does. There is very little room from its inlet to the back of the turn signal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anyways, I just finished my cold air induction consisting of: Ractive Heat Shield filter, 4" to 3" rubber couplink, 3" to 2" plastic couplink, 2" elbow to turn facing the front of the car inside the fender.

G

·
for all of you gt guys you dont need a air scoop. I have a lx but common knowledge is you remove the bottom have of the airbox. when you do this you will have the whole top have free from that little 1 1/2 to two inch intake whole on the bottom have. my lx gets up alot faster and your turbo will spool up alot quicker because the air it sucks in not restricted. i know about the heat the engine bay generates but isn't that what you have a intercooler for. to keep the filter in place use tie straps. PLEASE DONT KNOCK IT TILL YOU TRY IT. PS poeple in New Roc HATE ME!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts