Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I know there are heaps of other threads about this, and I know that some of you will get pissed off at seeing this thread ...

However, I want the opinion of people who live in australia ... and not the US (not that I don't respect their opinion ... just that I would like the opinion of people who live in the same region as I do).

I live in melbourne ... which make me a bit cautious about a CAI ... however, I was wondering whether I could use a RAM and connect it up to a removable CAI pipe - How did you do yours Mr-MX6?

Also, I get mixed messages from threads in re: foam or cotton paper - Which would be better in a humid/wet/ horrible area full of puddles (or ponds in the case of Sth Melbourne).

Cheers,

Nath

btw ... I use my car mainly for commuting to work (and I work in the city) - So my car spends a lot of it's time on the eastern freeway ...

I do rev the car a fair bit - but I need strong low end performance too (for city streets)

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
I merged your posts into one. Its best to edit your post if you forgot something.

Most people either take out the old airbox and put a pod filter in the engine bay, with a tube going to the bottom of the car to scoop up the cold air ( this is better against puddles) Or they put the pod at the end sticking out near the bottom of the car. Some people have used PVC pipe to make the CAI, but you can get CAI's for the mx6 at a couple of places or modify a prelude one to fit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i got pvc (the round downpipes)

dodgy but does the job, sounds beasty, its the cheapest way.

a couple of joints and tunrns. i got mine going right under the car .

works 4 me.

hey i even painted black

·
Registered
886 Posts
Eastern Freeway ? You're somewhere near my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
azza & pup,

do you guys have the instructions for the PVC inlet that was posted on the forum a while ago? I can't seem to find it!!! :(

10x in advance :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
just make a L shape pipe.
goes straight on the air flow meter. and put a filter on the end of it.
just simple stuff

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have mine mounted just behind the LH Headlight, with a metal heat shield behind it. To make room i put the battery in the boot, and i removed the rubber seal along the front of the bonnet so i get a bit of a ram effect. I used to have it mounted down low like most people do, but it's very dusty around here and the filter was getting very dirty very quick. also during the wet season (if the drought ever breaks and we get a proper wet season) It's not uncommon to suddenly find yourself driving through a few inches of water on the road, and i was afraid of hoovering some up.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I am worried about that with a CAI ... considering Melbourne has much more rain that queensland

I'm thinking of doing a RAM pod ... then extending a pipe down underneath the car ... however, I won't use solid pvc for that ... I was thinking more along the lines of ag-pipe for the lower 10" ... and then connecting it up with solid PVC ... in order to reduce the chance of my engine sucking in a huge amount of water

Would this work?

I wouldn't be using any power, because the scoop underneath will take in the majority of the air ... the only time it would start taking air in through the holes in the ag-pipe is when the scoop is blocked

·
Registered
541 Posts
I rockon the better option (as mentioned above) is to mount the pod where the box used to be, get some galvinised steel (think stuff) its easy to bend up, cut with a jig saw and rivit...

Make a heat shield for the pod with the galv steel, even box it up if you want....

The go to the hardware store, and get some flexible pipe (whatever diameter you reckon you can work with, but try for 75mm) feed this from the bottom front of the engine compartment into your air 'box' or sheilded area. If you do happen to hit a puddle etc, you wont get the vaccuum effect from the motor directly drawing from that source, and if the water happened to get that high up, it would spill free of the intake.

Mounting the pod that low (IN MY OPINION) is pretty silly, it will get dirty really quick, pickup water from the road instantly when it rains, and most likely will give a cop the 'perfect' reason to 'yellow sticker' (unroadworthy) your car... But thats just MY opinion, for what is worth (about $0.02!)

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah ... also, for the pod filter .. should I just go K&N? or should I get something else?

·
Registered
414 Posts
changing my setup but..

im going to move the batery in the back ,

make a really gooad aluminium box and a pipe will go in that box (from the bumber) and in the box i will have the filter

seen the setup on supras. (better thatn under the car (more air movement or some jazz.) should be interesting.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Some I have made up from pvc
My “new” first gen..

looked like this B4..

I’ve done a couple of different ways on my second gen..

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pupchick, in summer, air underneath your car will be hotter than air about knee to waste height. Remember how the bitumen feels against your legs when you wear shorts? Same theory ... bitumen attracts heat ... therefore is HOT - you're basically sucking in the air on the road ... which on a 40C day ... would probably be in the vicinity of 60-70C ... depending on wind & cloud cover of course. It's better at bumper height because as the heated air rises, it tries to heat other air particles ... this making it cooler. Yer, I was tempted by a box I saw on some shopping site a little while ago, it was an aluminum box that you put behind your bumper ... under you left light ... but you had to do some demo work to fit it ... eg. move the battery to the trunk (which is easy, but annoying ... I did it on my last car).
The other thing that we could do is cut a hole in the bonnet ... install a vent and suck the air in from there ... has anyone tried this yet?

Mr MX6, I really like that duct that you've installed on your 2G ... where did you get it from? Did you buy it from an airconditioner place or something?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yea the silver I got from the hardware it is used for venting things like exhaust fans.. it fits snug over a pod filter.. the thinking is you get less resistance than a long snorkel will still getting cold air from below the splash guard.. but I use the black pvc one on my ze now. .
The black one on the ZE is a flexible drain pipe.. again PVC not rubber.. I think a good thick rubber would be better.. still got my eyes pealed for some..
I am hopefully getting a stock intake to fit a ZE from buggy brad.. Ill give that a go with a panel filter..

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well ... that's why I want to go CAI ... because the K&N flat panel doesnt' fit my car!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Aw crap I hadn’t looked in to that yet . .I was assuming that they made one.. .perhaps a custom made one (CA-CHING) will have to do then..

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well ... the one I bought from Autobarn is about 1cm too long ... I'm gonna exchange it for a pod tomorrow ... it looks as if the pod's gonna be about $150 for the K&N pod.

Just need to make myself a pipe that goes to it from the tb ... and a feeder pipe that goes down under the car ... or may even do some moulding and work out how to get air from the front bumper.

Or ... working out a way to get more air in from the front lip (between the bonnet and the bumper) ... is there any way to get around the radiator?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts