Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I got my cat a couple of days ago and finally got around to installing it. What a PITA let me tell ya.

Anyways, I got a few pics of the install and put up a page on my site for it... check it out, it's under the install pages under RT high flow cat.... lemme know what you think...

G

·
I think I wish everybody who did this type of work documented it like that. Thanx, and prepare yourself for similar treatment when I do the valve cover gasket and phenolic spacer work on my 95 LS v6 in two weeks.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Nice job Jorge.

What, if any, improvement in performance have you noticed with the R/T cat?

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
kewl

what advantage does an aftermarket CAT do for you?

G

·
An aftermarket cat doesn't restrict the passage of exhaust as much as a oem one, due to different exhaust emissions requirements.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys... Well let me tell ya. I installed it yesterday and I drove the car this morning for the first time. First of all, the GReddy sounds more throaty than before, it's hard to explain. It's got more of a deeper sound with more bass... totally kick ass. Second of all, my stock cat must have been really clogged or something because the car felt so much faster and responsive. When I'm at a light, and I want to pull off rather fast, I do it a certain way where I never spin the wheels. This morning, I did it the same way I have been doing and I sup the wheels on 1st gear.... I'm gonna get it dynoed after I get headers on which would make it the end of my regular bolt on performance parts... Afterwards I can go into reworking the engine to get it ready for some 50-75hp shot of NOS...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Damn!!!

I think I need this cat... Will it work on a 4 cyl? I'll just take it to my muffler guy to have it put on... I'm scared to F around down there too much...

Jorge, do you know if it'll fit my car?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
then again if you live in an area where they dont require emissions, you could just hollow it out like i did. it took me about 45 mins. from start to finish. its pretty easy. all you need to do is take off the 4 bolts holding it on, ram it over a pipe until you get the guts out, and bolt it back on. easy, yeah? my car got a whole lot louder but didnt sound all ricey like a straight-piped honda, and i got a better gain than a hi flow cat. my other mods at the time were a cone filter and a cat-back exhaust (nakayama).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts