Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going on the usual drive to the university i attend to. I was taking a road which is straight for about 10 miles (55pmh zone). I was driving about 65mph and this guy with a new GS400 lex pulls right beside me and casually passes me. As we get to a red light, I glance at him hoping to race him after passing me like that. He glances back a few times. didnt know if he wanted to race but as soon as the light turned green he was off. Now, i have an auto, so i floored it. as i passed him(not casually) i could here the engine (w/manual trans. i could tell by the sound of the gear change) of his car go to its very last limit.it was as if the engine was trying to say "i think i can i think i can, damn im ****ed" but as soon as i hit 60mph, he was about 4 car lengths behind me. Then as i hit 80mph he was a little spec next to the bird s*** on my back windshield.
anyone got hints on what i should do to increase power on my basic MX6 (without using that much $)?
94' MX6 V6 atx
NGK plug and wires, K&N cone filter, racing design muffler, and a very unique lookin graphics(not in chinese or japanese, but in old style Korean characters)

·
Registered
416 Posts
hahahhahha

hey man, if u just beat a gs400, you dont need any mods. in fact, you must have the only factory mx6 v-6 capable of running in the low 14's high 13's, seeing how gs 400's run a 14.2 1/4 mile, and everyone else's MX-6 v6 with a maunual tranny in stock form run mid to 15's, and with an automatic, it's more like low to mid 16's. therefore, there are two conclusions i've come to about your story:
1. the guy had a heart attack at the light from laughing to hard at u trying to race him.
2. B.S.

dont get me wrong, i love the mx-6, but in stock(or near stock form) you will bnever beat a GS400.

p.s. the GS400's arent available with the manual trann's, only tiptronic autos are the closest you wil find on them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Lex GS400 is one kick a$$ car. FAST. Try mid 5 for the 0-60. I think the guy was not racing you. In fact, he was probably trying to figure out what you were doing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah
actually i didnt know much about GS400 until now. so he probably wasnt racing then, but i wonder why his engine sound loud? anyways, this wasnt a kill story after all. but i will get one soon.
but yeah, what can i do to get more power?
i was thinkin about gettin a catalitic converter and lightweight underdrive pulley for my next boost. dont know how much power i'll get, but hopefully i'll save up to get a cam also to be considered competitive with other modified imports.

·
Registered
270 Posts
BUT WAIT! Those "old style Korean" characters could have given you a 100hp advantage! No wonder you beat him. I bet he was racing. Good kill:rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it might have been the korean characters. shoot the other day it gave me another 900hp boost to beat a Porche 911 GT. ok, ppl let's a lil more mature. i dont know how old u guys are, but i did admit that i didnt know much about GS400 after i posted the message.
ppl that are mature, what can i do to get a lil more boost on my car w/o spending that much $? im thinkin about installing a catilitic converter and a lightweight underdrive pulley, but can i do something else besides that?
latez...

[Edited by MastaMX6 on 04-25-2001 at 10:45 AM]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Masta, first you must realize that the ATX is goin to seriously hurt you performance wise, at least in our cars(or so im told). but you def want to get a tranny cooler for your car because the autos tend to get really hot and can then shit the bed after 60k or so. i've heard the best basic upgrades are a Cold air intake, less restrictive headers, and a better flowing exhaust. i've only recently got my mx-6, so im sue there are many other upgrades available, just ask some of the more experienced guys under the performance posts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Check out the 2nd gen Performance Posts

Good Luck

G

·
masta if you want cheap performance, just get your catalytic converter ripped off and throw an exhaust on there. good for a near 25 hp. get a new air filter and air intake for around 20 more hp then youre ready to go.right there is an easy 45-50 hp for under 300$ if you do it right.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Remsmx6 said:
masta if you want cheap performance, just get your catalytic converter ripped off and throw an exhaust on there. good for a near 25 hp.
! :E

25HP? No way, not unless the one on his car is completely clogged...then the 25HP he's getting are simply bringing him back to stock levels. I've seen dyno tests where a test pipe delivered maybe 3HP when replacing a healthy cat.

get a new air filter and air intake for around 20 more hp then youre ready to go.right there is an easy 45-50 hp for under 300$ if you do it right.
A HS CAI, one of the best bang-for-the-buck CAIs (PRM is up there too) with a cone filter is good for maybe 5WHP, not 20.

If MastaMX6 wants to go fast on the cheap, he should spend the next $500 he has on a nitrous kit. Wait...scratch that: spend the next $50 he has on a transmission cooler, then the next $500 on N2O. It's the cheapest way to go fast. Too bad the fun is over when the bottle is empty.

But even with the maximum shot you could safely deliver to a KL03 (especially one bolted to an ATX) with stock internals and a wet-manifold setup, I'd say it'd be a longshot to get a 0-60 time of less than 6-seconds.

G

·
The GS400 has the v8 out of the LS400 and dual exhausts. That's why it sounds so loud. BTW, GS400 is not available with a stick as far as I know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts