Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my brakes yesterday and discovered my drivers side rear piston in my caliper is seized. I couldn't get it to depress so that the caliper would fit over the new pads - how do I fix this - limited budget.
Also, anyone know if the rear calipers are different for the 4ws model - 89 Gt 4ws

·
Registered
666 Posts
on the rear pistons, you don't just push them in, you have to turn them and push at the same time. I believe counter clockwise. They make a tool for it, but, I never used one, just used a pair of channel locks. You have to be really careful or you'll tear the rubber boot.
I don't know if the calipers are the same for 4ws

·
Registered
711 Posts
I always turn mine cloclwise. Guess it doesn't matter?

·
Registered
666 Posts
No, I don't guess it does. If you turn a normal nut/bolt/screw clockwise, you'll be tightening it, and you wanna "loosen" the piston so to speak, so, I just turn counter-clockwise. But, I guess either way would work 8D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
If you turn the piston couterclockwise you will remove the piston. It should be reset by turning it clockwise. (pg 11-39 of the mx6 shop manual)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hehehe, oops
It's official, don't listen to that stupid ass ******* TexasMX6GT anymore :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks guys - appreciate it - this is why the internet and this site is great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts