Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my rims and I am now ready to lower my car! I need some advice on what the best way to go is? What are the best coilovers, best value...........etc. I'd appreciate any info you can give me. My car is currently at the body shop as a result of a little accident, they are fixing my fender, replacing my bumper and adding European Style side blinkers, so I want to get them to lower it as well while it is there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
GC's( Ground Control Coilovers) are very good, i dont have the best struts so some one else will have to tell you that but i know what they will say.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
eh`

Im gonna go with the eibachs... possibly this weekend...

yey :p

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
the reason i say GC's is for the reason you can raise and lower the car if needed ( and i have used this very often) also the springs are stiff, they handle very well. also they have Eibach springs on the coilovers.

they are very simple to put on. i think Jorge has a web page that tell you how to: its only like two bolts and a nut you have to take off. well and the wheel of course.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hmmm

Is an alignment required after replacing springs?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Word of advice, get the alignment done. With the eibach's they usally sell the alignment kit for the front and rear. I got them for about $50 (cdn). If they weren't done when the springs were installed, think about getting it done soon especially if you've spent the dough on performance tires. Without it, the inside of the tires tend to wear out rather quickly.
$100 Cdn isn't alot when compared to purchasing new rubber!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were to go with Eibachs would it be a big problem to get it raised again in the winter? Because I have to drive it for one more winter before I can start Storing it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Eibachs only lower the MX6 1.5 inches in the front at 1.2 in the rear so there is still enough space...it won't become a low rider if that's what your worried about.
Will you be using your current tires and rims in winter? If you are there is still sufficient spacing. I still kept the stock 15 inch rims, atached snow tires and there is still more than enough space for snow not to get trapped.
We get a pretty good downfall every winter and I've never had any problems.
If you want to raise and lower your vehicle, don't bother with spring and get a caoil over kit that will cost more but at least it gives you that option. Get the groung control system if you can since they use the eibach springs as standard equipment.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually just got off the phone with my body shop and He recommended just going with the springs unless you plan on entering your car in shows and you really want to slam it. He said the ride is much better with springs than with coilovers and he also said the struts won't last with coilovers. For the winter I am going to remove my 17s and put my stock 15s with snow tires. He told me he can lower it 2 inches with the springs and that he can take them off for the winter for $50. Trust me, you probably haven't seen anywhere close to the snow we get, I had my stock wheels last winter and I got trapped in snow more than once, it is not unusual for us to get 30-60cm in one snow fall. Since this is the last winter I drive me car before I start storing it, I am going to go with the springs and get him to remove them just before the snow falls.

Thanks for all your help!! :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just one more thing......Roughly what should I expect to pay to lower it with just the springs and get it aligned. He said between $250 and $300. Is that too much?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The price you quoted is the installation price or springs? Or is it both incleded in the price he told you?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is everything, springs, installation and alignment.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, sounds better than what I paid and from what's been offered other places.
This is with Eibach spring's right?
If it is, do it first thing in the morning and I may have a few people head out to the East Coast for that deal!!:eek:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I asked him about Eibach, so that must be what he quoted me. I am going to talk to him about it more on Tuesday or Wednesday night when I pick up my car. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does this look like a good deal? What would it come to with Shipping and the exchange?
Eibach Springs

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just remember you can get them for 194 US plus shipping from a retail store...... and these are worth less cuz theres no guarantee..... i was lookin at them myself..... ha ha

Mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good thinking! Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts