Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, unfortunately for me, I'm a total newbie when it comes to cars. I just bought my first car, and I'm happy that its a MX-6. I am in the process of fixing up the outside of my car, adding a TC Spoilers body kit and getting painting some parts of my car where the paint is faded . However, the other day I noticed that something was leaking and found that the upper radiator hose had a small hole in it and was venting water/coolant. The next day it just totally let loose and was just gushing out water/coolant, so I replaced the hose before I killed my engine. After doing that, however, I noticed that my engine was staying really hot even after I'd let it sit for 4 hours. Is that natural or is there something wrong? Also, I'm new to driving stick and I still have problems shifting from first to second without making the engine kick. I've tried shifting at all different speeds/RPM's but still can't find the right spot. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I shift at about 3500 to 4000 RPMs from first to second and it doesn't jump; however, I rarely use the first gear. I prefer just starting off in second :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
What's the temp like when the car is running? If it is staying a little below the halfway mark, I would say everything is peachy. How is your coolant level and did you refill with the right mixture? I assume you lost quite a bit of coolant, did you? When refilling a large amount of coolant you have to fill slooooooowly, so you don't get air bubbles. If you need to bleed the system, all you have to do is heat up the engine till the fan comes on and then let it cool and then top of the coolant again. It's important to let it cool as hot coolant spraying in your face is one of those things you never want to know about first hand. You repeat this until the temp gauge doesn't go over the halfway mark. Again, if your temp gauge does not go over the halfway mark don't worry about it, you're probably OK. My car now that I remember stayed pretty warm over my celebration time for Cinqo de Mayo this weekend. That was about 3 hours I think. My wife appreciated it though as she was dressed for a 100 degrees and it got chilly.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Shifting...is simply timing between the clutch and gas. It just takes some practice. When you feel the clutch engaging start giving it some gas, you will just have to get the feel for it. Confession: a lot of times I jump from 3rd to 5th.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah... my coolant tank was completely empty. =P My temp gauge is now at the right spot a bit below the middle. I was just a little worried that the engine being so hot all the time might mean another problem. I'm taking it in to the dealer to get the hoses and belts checked soon so I guess I shouldn't worry about. Thanks for the shifting tip... I just need to practice some more. =)

G

·
0 Posts
:confused: Its an MX-6, not a truck! [/B]
In my car, it is kind of difficult to shift it into first (unless I come to a complete stop), so that is why I start off in second. Whenever I DO come to a complete stop, I do use First however.

G

·
0 Posts
I do the same.. Very seldom pull away in 1st. The car has a lot of torque at low rpm due to the VRIS technology and that makes it easy to skip 1st when the car is barely moving. When driving another car I always forget I can't just easily pull away in 2nd like I do with the MX.

By not using 1st so much, the gear and synchromish stays stiff and not run in properly. My MX also struggles to go into 1st if the car is still moving and I've done 100 000 on the clock! :)

Regarding gear jumping.... well I even sometimes go from 2nd to 5th if I rev to around 4000 in 2nd! but mostly from 3rd to 5th.

My temp guage stays smack in the centre all the time and barely moves. Had a thermostat get stuck on me a while back, but luckly saw the gauge going past half way and I stopped the car in time. The only cost was a new thermostat. Could have been much worst.

Happy MX6ing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts