Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever thought about modifying the rear calipers??
i know Adam T. has in the past.
he used something like Nissan disks with Wilwood calipers.
do we know of any other options?
im sick of rebuilding rear calipers or asking for rebuilds from the states (thanks Gavin:tup: ) so im wondering what we/i can do.
please spread some thoughts.
ooh on the fronts are being worked as we speak.:jump:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Dont rear brakes do less than 20% of the braking? seems like a waste of effort for something that isnt going to benefit you much.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
true..very much true.
but since my fronts are going bigger i want my rears to be bigger too.
its an "the-eye-want-something-nice-to-look-at-thing" too.
i also would like to block the rear wheels which im now not able to.
and when going on a hill, the handbrake doesnt give enough force to leave my car standing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One thing to think about is that not alot of cars use a press in bearing in the back. A possible option is looking at the rotors on a newer tarus. same caliper pretty much, larger rotor, but it is a slide on rotor.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
T3 626 said:
One thing to think about is that not alot of cars use a press in bearing in the back. A possible option is looking at the rotors on a newer tarus. same caliper pretty much, larger rotor, but it is a slide on rotor.
Taurus's sables cougars and Tbirds all use another Lug pattern than ours. its like 5X120 or some stupid crap ford thought up.

I personally would like larger brakes in back just for the Ebrake, mine sucks and everything is new. the drums work well but theres too much rotational mass and drums are a freakkin bitch to do if you've never done them(i've done them and i rather put together a transmission than install new rear shoes)

I've got some 929/millenia rear brake stuff, i'll see how close/far those are from fitting, those use a drum inside of a disc. that way the calipers NEVER really freeze up because they have nothing to do with the parking brake. Another project for winter.
-Eric

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Z31/fairlady rotors/calipers could possibly work. same bolt pattern and beefier calipers.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Taurus? crown vic? Z car? T-bird? Five Hundred?!?

You guys crack me up. "Simplify man... just simplify". Have you thought of something a bit closer to home?

(2nd gen rear spindle/rotors/calipers)

Have fun...try not to kill yourselves ;)

Gavin

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
i don't see the need, look at the size of our rear brakes compared to most cars, there pretty large. maybe a dual piston caliper upgrade but that would be at the most i would do. i'd mainly concentrate on the front where its needed.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Indeed.

Theoretically though(and this escapes a lot of physics) you could make an argument that says if the brake torque is increased on the front of the car, a commenserate amount could be added to the rear to regain the stock bias.

But how much is too much. The truth of the matter is, if you can lock the brakes with the a fully functioning stock system(which you can), whats the point of adding more clamping force to a street driven car as it will be? Lock up the brakes faster?

Remember, the key determiner of braking performance is the tires. If you can lock em up, thats all the braking youll be getting from them.

Good luck

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
what if you can't lock them up but get insane stopping force? i can't lock my fronts unless it's raining outside. and i'm only running stock rotors with ceramics.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
In a way thats a good thing as when you lock the brakes you lose directional control.(it probably wouldnt hurt to have the braking system refreshed though, rebuilds and such). Like I said, you cant have any more insane braking unless your tires allow it. Its all about the rubber that meets the ground.

(which make the claims of 100mph on/offramp hijinks with stiff azz coilovers/swaybars/massive braking power with big brake kits the more impressive. All that with bald, mismatched kelly chargers? Really now? You dont say?)

Gavin

·
Registered
440 Posts
right about that gavin... but with lager brakes, they wont get so fast warm, and then u can drive harder longer :D and that is a big bonus when u go to the track...

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
gavin said:
In a way thats a good thing as when you lock the brakes you lose directional control.(it probably wouldnt hurt to have the braking system refreshed though, rebuilds and such). Like I said, you cant have any more insane braking unless your tires allow it. Its all about the rubber that meets the ground.

(which make the claims of 100mph on/offramp hijinks with stiff azz coilovers/swaybars/massive braking power with big brake kits the more impressive. All that with bald, mismatched kelly chargers? Really now? You dont say?)

Gavin
last time i did the fronts, the pistons moved very nicely and the brake fluid a nice light caramel color :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts