Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 93 V6 2nd Gen, and the rear struts (no, not the shocks) have deteriorated. The boot (trunk) lid will only stay up on level ground, and I have nearly knocked myself out when the boot lid cracks my skull on inclines. Does anybody know if these struts can be "re-gassed", or do they have to be replaced ?

TIA.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think you have to replace them. Mine are tempermental and sometimes work and othertimes don't. I have a piece of molding left over from some "home improvements" that seems to fit the bill in these situations. It works for now and I don't get hit in the head, which is a good thing.

G

·
me too!..hell!..me worse!

hey

you know my boot lid will not even stay in place, i pull it up to the top, let go and it comes crashing down with a hard slam, not even a hint that it might want to stay in place for a while, i mean there are not one but 2 of those gas struts, and i thought these were expensive features that not many cars have..and i expected them to last..now, they look like they can chop stuff up..man..i would never open my boot and put stuff inside with out the help of another adult..and that sucks..

anyone know how much it will cost to replace those struts/repair them or substitute them?

thanks guys

G

·
you mean..

so u are saying 12 bucks for a whole gas strut? Or is the 12 bucks for something else..? Are they a generic sort that will fitt the MX6?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'd like to know where you find them for $12-20. The dealer wanted $69, and AutoZone wanted $70-something (each).

Tyson
95 LS (with a bruise from an impact with the bootlid)

·
Registered
154 Posts
12 bucks....no way. I went to pep boys and ac-delco and i ended up spending $140 for 2 new trunk struts. They arent cheap!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
These prices are aoutragious! When mine went, I went to the dealer, they wanted $198 for both. So after I spit in their face and shit in their counter I went to Pep Boys. There I found the trunk struts for $18 each. That's right 2 for $36 beans. Now, when I pop the trunk open, the trunk opens up by itself all the way up. it's cool it makes that SHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhup sound when it's opened. Anyway, don't spend more than $50 for them. Go to an autoparts store and get a generic one that is the same size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
These prices are aoutragious! When mine went, I went to the dealer, they wanted $198 for both. So after I spit in their face and shit in their counter I went to Pep Boys. There I found the trunk struts for $18 each. That's right 2 for $36 beans. Now, when I pop the trunk open, the trunk opens up by itself all the way up. it's cool it makes that SHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhup sound when it's opened. Anyway, don't spend more than $50 for them. Go to an autoparts store and get a generic one that is the same size.

Thank You another smart Shopper :) Shop around boys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts