Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear break light comes on everytime i step on the brakes, to me this seems normal because it has happend since i got the car and the breaks work fine. but a friend of mine says that the light comes on when there is a problem with the brakes?

anyone know which one of us is right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm confused as to what you mean when you say:
4bangermx6 said:
my rear break light comes on
when you hit the brakes. If you're referring to the rear tail lights or the light in the spoiler (rear window if you don't have a spoiler) then this is of course normal. But if you're talking about the Brake indicator light on the dash coming on when you hit the brakes, then there is a problem that you should have checked out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Which light?

Be more specific on what you mean by break light?

The light that appears on your dash?

Your rear tail lights?

If your more clear on what the problem is I might be able to help you out. :E

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He means the light on the gauge cluster that i believe reads, "REAR" and has a picture of a bulb or a light on it.

The same thing happens on my car. At first that light on the dash would only come on when i had my headlights ON and whenever I pressed on the brakes. Then, little by little it got worse and now whenever I turn on the headlights, that light in the gauge cluster stays on all the time. I checked all the bulbs, they are fine, visually checked the wires in the back as far as I could trace and they visually look fine, not corroded or damaged. I'm stumped. The next thing I do will probably be pull the bulb.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The brake lights on the rear come on when ever you touch the brakes, if they don't you have a problem and will most likely get rear ended as a result. I am going to assume this is not what you are talking about though. If the light comes on your instrument cluster when you hit the brakes, topping up your brake fluid usually stops this. You might check out your pad thicknesses though as the fluid goes down as the pads get thinner.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are you referring to the little red light on the instrument gague panel that says "rear". If so, then that means one of your taillight bulbs are blown. Even if you have someone press your brakes while you sand behind your car, you will still have a difficult time seeing which light it is. The only fool proof way is to remove the taillights completely, then have someone press your brakes ( the car need not be on) while you check which one it is. Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey i got that same problem too :confused: when i press on the break the light on the dash turns on and when i turn on my headlights

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine did that a while back... turned out that the brake light behind my rear glass had blown.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i checked that also but they all turn on

·
Registered
358 Posts
You might have to over-top it off.

JPMX6GT said:
In my case, the fluid is topped off, pads and rotors are new and all the bulbs are new.....

Any other ideas?
I had the same problem before, and I found that the brake fluid sensor can be very sensitive, and cause the light to turn on whenever I applied the brakes hard. I kept adding a little more fluid until it was about 1/4" above the 'Max' line on the resevoir, and I haven't seen the light since.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i got the same problem too. It was weird, it did it when i bought the car, stopped doing it for a while, and then started doing it again. I always thought it was just a short with the wire to the light on the dash or something. Its no bigge because all my brake lights DO work. If there is an easy fix Ill do it but ti doesnt bother me too much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys for all your help...good thing i posted this problem, i guess alot of you guys have the same thing happening. im not sure what it is, but my brakes work fine. so ill just live with it...it doesnt bother me to much.
thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey JP,
my car has the same problem with the rear light on the dash... it only comes on when the headlights are on...all my bulbs are fine...I can't figure out whats wrong with it...it drives me crazy...anyone get it fixed please let us know

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ive never had that problem but im thinking if everything else checks out, check the contacts in the sockets. dirt, corrosion, etc...

are you guys using dielectric grease?

·
Registered
352 Posts
My brake indicator light stays on the all the time (while the car is running that is). I checked my brake lights and everything, and it still does it. I've just ignored it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
or you can just pull the bulb and check your taillights often...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts