Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions.
I will be doing my rear brakes pads soon. I tried to research this and one site said there is an Allen bolt on the back of the caliper that will back out the piston (never did this type before ). Another said to turn the piston to retract ( I've done this before on my CX-5). So if it need to be turned while pushing, I would like to know before hand to so I can get the tool from autozone before I lift up the car.
Power door locks. Last winter I had trouble getting into the car in the morning when freezing. It would freeze shut and the lock was froze. I put lube the locks and they worked fine until it would freeze. I could turn the key in the lock without any tension. Like it was broke, and the lock inside the car would not move. Would be fine after everything thawed. So I was wondering if I should remove the inner door panel and lubricate some parts. And if so what, and with what?
Last question is about the factory sub under the passenger seat. Not the best thing, but it does add depth to the front speakers. I was wondering if anyone has been able to convert this into a better sub, with a new sub speaker and maybe a small amp? Using the same enclosure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rear brakes have an allen bolt. There should be a plastic cap that pops off to reveal the allen head. Turning the allen bolt will cause the piston to retract.

Front brakes you need a tool to compress the piston.

Never had a problem with locks freezing. I spray a the locks with a lubricating oil/silicone spray through the key hole. You should be able to get it at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oops. Sorry. I just realized you have a 1st Gen. I've only done the brakes on a 2nd Gen. I don't know how the rear pistons retract on a 1st Gen.

·
Registered
94 Posts
From the workshop service manual:

·
Registered
94 Posts
and the rest:

I have 2 gen rear disks and calipers (modified) so I haven't actually used the service tool or the procedure for the stock setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will get the tool ahead of time. That gives me everything I need to know to get the brakes done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks I will get the tool ahead of time. That gives me everything I need to know to get the brakes done.
No problem at all, glad to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts