Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've got this odd creaking noise that seems to happen everytime the body flexes, or i hit a bump or something. The sound is only coming from the rear and I hear it from the inside. Could it be the upper strut mounts or something like that? Or the struts themselves? If it's the struts then maybe I'll just do my strut/spring mod now...even though i was gonna wait until after the winter before lowering the car but oh well...Please let me know if you have any info.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would definitely try and determine if the noise is actually coming from the struts/suspension of if it's coming from within the car. I know that as the car gets old, the interior plastic paneling tends to shift around or shrink or enlarge. I've had this kind of noise in my car before and it's always wound up being the inside paneling. What I did was I had my brother drive the car around while I was in the back seat with the seats down. Then I carefully inspected every panel in order to see what was making the noise. Once I found the culprit panel, I used either some insulating foam or some regular air conditioner insulation foam in order to keep it from cracking.

If you find that the nise is NOT coming from the inside panels and it's coming from the trunk. Go inside the trunk and see if you can tell where exactly the noise is coming from as th ecar is being driven. If it's the suspension, then check the suspension parts for wearing etc and replace them if need be.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i used to have a baaaad sound just like that. i had my rear struts replaced w/kyb's and it went away. not sure if it was the struts themselves or bolts or bushings. but whatever, its gone. i also have the same squeak as JP was talking about. THANX JP, i gotta try that foam thing. i knew it was the panels and tried tightening, but the a/c foam sounds like it should do it. i;ll probably put it on a lot of my panels. fewer rattles the better. =)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Solution??

I used to have a GOD AWFUL Sqeak everytime i hit a speed bump, or just hit a bump. Under the car there is a panaling system that goes all along the exaust pipes. Make sure that there is none of that paneling hitting the exaust pipe! I could have sworn it was my shocks, however, it was near the back. Just look under the car and follow the exaust piping. This paneling was metal so, it is quite loud! That could be the solution!
(i used to push on the back end of my car thinking it was rear suspension, that's why i think this may be it. If it is, just wait till the car cools down, and bend that metal shielding back from touching the exaust piping!)

Stay Free.....
Little Bastard,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts