Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have rear disc brakes without ABS?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
ABS was an option on the GT's so I'm sure there's plenty out there without ABS. Why U ask?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
On the GT's there were quite a few. On the LX's ABS was an option and the only way you could get rear disks on them.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the info, I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
yes

I have an '89 GT with rear discs and no ABS. I'm kinda glad I don't have it because it doesn't really help you if you know how to stop and it's just more complication/weight and something else to break...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 91 GT with disk brakes in the rear (all GT were that way) without factory ABS. I had ABS (Brakguard) installed at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Re: yes

antiSUV said:
I have an '89 GT with rear discs and no ABS. I'm kinda glad I don't have it because it doesn't really help you if you know how to stop and it's just more complication/weight and something else to break...
Well to tell you the truth, our ABS rocks. My old mx6 didnt have ABS and it was kinda scary at times stopping in the rain. And yes I do know how to stop thank you very much :). The car stops a LOT better with ABS. The ABS system in our cars is actually one of the best I've encountered. It's senstive and reacts quickly, yet isnt intrusive when it's not needed (like when braking over a bump).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm disc all around with no ABS as well. And there have been a few times I could have used it. :)
Beach.
'91 GT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to bring this topic up again form way back, but I have a 89 LX and want to convert to disc in the rear are there any kits that are easy on the $$$. I'm almost sure that it's been done before, but how difficult would it be to pull this off.

Jason
89 LX stock (soon to be modified)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Disk Brakes

If you go to http://www.ricambisport.com you can order cross drilled disc rotors for the back of your mx6. I know I can get some for my 89GT. I already have some in the front made by Autospecialty. You can also order cross drilled rotors from South Side Brake and Clutch, it's a shop in Tacoma, WA. Their address & number is 3612 S. 54th Tacoma WA 98409. (253) 473-1433. It cost me $94 per rotor (2) then I had a mechanic install them for 50 bucks. Nice mod for only $238, everyone should get cross drilled.... As for ABS, I know for damn sure that I don't have any, because when slam the breaks in the rain or on dry pavement, i skid, but it's also fun to pull 90's and 180's.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Pyro said:
Sorry to bring this topic up again form way back, but I have a 89 LX and want to convert to disc in the rear are there any kits that are easy on the $$$. I'm almost sure that it's been done before, but how difficult would it be to pull this off.

Jason
89 LX stock (soon to be modified)
There arent any "kits", but it's not hard to do if you have access to a donor car or can get everything from a junkyard.
Here's the list:

-Rotors, pads, calipers
-brake hoses
-spindles (the thing that attaches the wheel assembly to the lateral links, trailing arms and struts)
-Parking brake cables, all the way to the "equalizer" (spring thingy just aft of the parking brake handle underneat the car)
-and this is unnofficial, but supposedly you need the proportioning valve, which is under the hood, at the bottom of the firewall, just above the steering rack.

That's basically it as best I can recall.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've heard about the proportioning valve as well. I was told that without it(the one from the GT), would cause the rear brakes to lockup quite easily. Even if this turns up to be false, I would get it anyway to be on the safe side.

If you end up doing a conversion, keep me updated. I'm interested.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I'm probably going to be doing the conversion soon to my friend's '89 LX (my old car). I'll take pictures and document the procedure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.