Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
turns out the rear brakes on my 91 mx6 lx are shot to shizzle and i cant get the drums off even using a torch (took the car to a couple shops they told me around $1000 to have them do the work. i laughed and figured id come here to ask if there was anyway i could do a conversion to disk seeing as the brakes need an overhaul anyway.

sorry if there is info on the site but i still cant seem to find what im looking for using the search function

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes you can convert quite easy just remove strutt and then the whole hubb assy & replace with everything from disc rear ,you will have to change hand brake cable different to drum (4door 626 disc rear will fit ,all the same except 4ws) good luck

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Disc conversion isn't that difficult, just takes a good amount of parts to get the job done.

I'd suggest you keep looking for places to get your drums apart. In fact, I'd bring it somewhere for a "free brake inspection" (or pay for it if no one locally offers a free one) and they'll have to pull apart your drums to inspect the rears.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disc conversion isn't that difficult, just takes a good amount of parts to get the job done.

I'd suggest you keep looking for places to get your drums apart. In fact, I'd bring it somewhere for a "free brake inspection" (or pay for it if no one locally offers a free one) and they'll have to pull apart your drums to inspect the rears.
lol the shops i took it to are the ones that do free brake inspection ... they couldnt get them apart "said there was no way they could get them off without ruining them".

i know the last 2 owners of the car and neither of them had the drums off (in at least 5 years between them)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts