Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to see if I can find a way to unlock my rear seats...I do not have the "Master" key, or it is worn enough now, that it will no longer work...anyways, I need to get the seats folded down, but cannot unlock them.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this, without damaging something expensive.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Man, I was trying everything to get my back seats unlocked. Finally, I had enough and swapped out the entire back seat (the part the folds down). Getting it out while it's lock is the hard part. I think I ended up bending a bracket to get it out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A locksmith won't go by the VIN, they will use a MUCH more labor intensive process, by taking a key blank, and inserting it, then wiggling it back and worth, then manually filing away small amount of metal at a time, until they get a match.

Had it done on a Mustang I used to have, when the keys got lost - cost $45 at that time, and took the guy about 45 minutes...if I thought I could do the same thing, I'd just buy a key blank....99 cents...might try it - what have i got to lose? a buck?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I finally got my VIN written down, and called the Mazda house...the parts counter guy said that it is SOMETIMES possible to give them the VIN, and they can SOMETIMES pull a master key code from the main Mazda database...

Guess what, my VIN was listed...so, for a paltry $4, I'll be getting a new master key within the next few weeks - gotta find the time to get there...they are on the other side of town, and close about the same time I get off work...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they just told me to confirm the VIN...besides, I'll be driving the car there, with the keys I have now...

·
Registered
3 Posts
HA43-76-201A key blank part number and your vin from Mazda should take care of it. I had the same problem and I called my local Mazda in Falmouth Maine and they researched it and determined that there was a ignition key which is the squarish shaped key for the ignition, the other key given with the car at sale was a round headed key and this is the key part number blank I posted and it works in my back seat, dash and all other locks on the car. I hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts