Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we just got a freaking blizzard here in good ole Winterpeg...but that rant is for another thread

Anyway, i went to put on my winter wheels and tires for the first time today, they arnt new but came with the car when i bought it in the spring. I changed the front 2 no problem, but after i get the lugnuts off the back and get the car in the air, both rear wheels are stuck on, they wont budge, i dont wanna hit them super hard or shake the hell outta them cuz I dont want to knock my car off the jack...how on earth do i get these off, is there something i am doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated

-Bryce

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would say lower the car with the lugnuts off... Perhaps this will loosen the wheels from where they are stuck!

Other than that, I have no idea as to why your wheels would be stuck to the car.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I had the exact same problem as you did when I blew a tire on the freeway. The wheel was completely stuck on the hub and I had to call a tow truck to take it off. it seems that the disc plate is steel and it will rust into your aluminum wheels causing it to be attatch very tightly. Just be glad you caught it at home and not stuck out in the rain for 3 hours feeling like a dumbass because you can't take a wheel off :D

I went home and followed this procedure to take the other wheel off for any future problems.

1) Raise the car with the center camber block (or one time each side if you want to.)

2) Put all your lug nuts back on, tighten them by hand than back them out about one turn each.

3) Use a rubber mallet and proceed to bang the hell out of them from the inside.

4) If that does not loosen the wheel apply a healthy dose of WD 40 and let it soak for a few hours (overnight is preferrable.)

5) Repeat step 3 and it should come off, if it does not.

6) Use a crow bar, place it on the inside of the wheel, use another bar and place it somehwere where the first bar is not simply forcing off the disc brake. And proceed to pry the hell out of that thing.

If your still stuck after all of that you got some serious problem. Go get a bottle of CLR or other rust remover. Now you have to be careful because the stuff will kill your disc brakes if applied improperly. Use a syringe type of injector and feed it in between the wheel and the hub. Apply slowly for several minutes. Reapply some WD40 to cancel out the CLR and the whell should just about to fall off.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Loosen the lugnuts one or two turns.

Put car in gear, get it rolling forward. Sharply apply brakes. Roll backward, sharply apply brakes.

Jack it so the wheels are just barely off the ground. If they arent loose yet, get behind it with a big sledge and a piece of drift. Attempt to do this while not under the car.

Without the sledge, you can just kick the crap out of it, rotate one third turn, kick, repeat. Prolly won't hurt a thing. Always was good enough for me.
-Garrett

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
skiingman said:
Loosen the lugnuts one or two turns.

Put car in gear, get it rolling forward. Sharply apply brakes. Roll backward, sharply apply brakes.

Jack it so the wheels are just barely off the ground. If they arent loose yet, get behind it with a big sledge and a piece of drift. Attempt to do this while not under the car.

Without the sledge, you can just kick the crap out of it, rotate one third turn, kick, repeat. Prolly won't hurt a thing. Always was good enough for me.
-Garrett
kicking always works but PLEASE go out and buy a set of jackstands.. you can get a pair for 20$

kickign requires you to be UNJDER the car. get it?

get jackstands.. get a hydraulic jack.. spend the 40$ and never have to worry again.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for all the help guys!

Im going over to a friends house this weekend and I'm going to borrow his jackstands and wheel blocks becuase i dont have the money to buy my own :(. But I should be able to get them off with out the car falling on me :)

-Bryce

·
Registered
420 Posts
Now you guys have got me worried about my wheels, since I don't know how long ago the previous owner had them off. Is this a bigger problem in wet climates? Should I check the wheels once a year to make sure they're not stuck?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Goatcrapp said:
kicking always works but PLEASE go out and buy a set of jackstands.. you can get a pair for 20$

kickign requires you to be UNJDER the car. get it?

get jackstands.. get a hydraulic jack.. spend the 40$ and never have to worry again.
I should have clarified. I meant kicking from the side of the car. Usually is more then enough.
-Garrett

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
10 LB SLEDGE...SILICONE SPRAY

and if that doesnt work get a bigger hammer......IF THAT DOESNT WORK GET AN EVEN BIGGER HAMMER!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bet a heat gun or torch from a distance will work. Warm up the rim and it should expand so that some 'gentle' persuasion will break them loose.:D

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
ChicagoGirl96M said:
Now you guys have got me worried about my wheels, since I don't know how long ago the previous owner had them off. Is this a bigger problem in wet climates? Should I check the wheels once a year to make sure they're not stuck?
ive never had a problem with this but ur idea couldnt hurt, if ur that worried about it u might as well just do it for peace of mind, and rotate ur tires if needed. u can tell whether they need rotated or not by how much tread is left on the tires. the tires with the most tread should be on the front. while uve got ur wheels off id also check how much brake pad is left and the condition of your rotors.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
lordy611 said:
I bet a heat gun or torch from a distance will work. Warm up the rim and it should expand so that some 'gentle' persuasion will break them loose.:D
Bah, waste of time. But if you were going to do it, definitely heat gun not torch. Don't want any brakedust fires :)
-Garrett

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Aussomea said:
ive never had a problem with this but ur idea couldnt hurt, if ur that worried about it u might as well just do it for peace of mind, and rotate ur tires if needed. u can tell whether they need rotated or not by how much tread is left on the tires. the tires with the most tread should be on the front. while uve got ur wheels off id also check how much brake pad is left and the condition of your rotors.
lol now, a week later, this happened to THREE of my wheels. lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
This thread makes me feel better -- I felt like a complete idiot when I blew a tire and couldn't get it off the damn car a few months ago. I had to call my dad, who happened to live about ten minutes from where it happened, and have him drive out. "You're 22 years old and you can't change a damned tire?!" He got there and he couldn't get it either; we proceeded to beat the hell out of it until it came off. A few kicks (from beside the car, not under it!) did manage to do the trick at the end.

Never wanna do that again!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, I don't like using the BFH (large rubber hammer) on my rims. It's not much better than kicking, it leaves marks, and there is a potential of denting the rim. If kicking doesn't work, the next best solutions I have found so far is to:

-Loosen all 5 lugnuts about 1/4"
-if you have it on a hydraulic jack, quickly lower the car, the rim should pop off
-if that doesn't work, with the car on the ground and the lug nuts loosened, wiggle the car side to side by pushing on the fender
-if that doesn't work, and your driveway has a bump in the curb before it angles up, drive over the bump a couple of times until the rim pops off. Don't drive quickly, just normally as if you were entering or exiting your driveway
-if that doesn't work, or you don't have a bump in the curb of your driveway, get on the street just in front of where you are working on your car. Get the car going to about 2-3 mph, hit the brakes hard (you can also try this in reverse)

Be safe, do NOT loosen the lugnuts more than a 1/4" (about 3-4 turns of the nut)

When you finally get the rim off, use a wire brush to remove any rust or corrosion that is on the hub or the rim.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had trouble the first time pulling my wheels as well. Since then, I have learned to put on some anti-seize compound, usually the kind with molybdenum in it. Slap some of that on the rusted areas (where it probably stuck on) and I have never had a problem since....

Oh yeah, put some on those lugnut threads too! :)

Schwinn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts