Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo people's
just um.. im pretty new here, so if im posting in the wrong area, please forgive me!

anyways, im rebuilding my F2T!

and wondering what mods i should do ?

ill just drop a list of wat im planning so far off the top of my head, let me know wat use think..
i wanna hit inbetween 200/300 [email protected] wheel's (comfortably)
ill post pics along the way :)

Forged pistons/conrods
strengthened crankshaft
lightweight flywheel
port&polished head.
upgraded cam's/camgear
fuel injectors.. ( wat size / cc's ? )
fuel pump
intercooler + IC piping ( 3" )
turbo ( any recomendations? )
radiator ( seeing as this ones cloged to the [shizzle] house )

hmmm.. im pretty sure im forgeting afew things..
comments/recomendations would be gladly apreciated

mike.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nice connections or lots of money to start off with, lol. :)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
most that wont be needed as the f2 is fairly beefy. infact if your just shooting for 200hp a t-bird turbo and a boost controller will easily put you way past that.

p.s. your in the wrong section.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I wouldnt say you need all those mods to make that kinda power. My bone stock F2t is pushing over 300whp right now and hasnt shown any signs of letting up. I would say if you plan on a setup making 350whp+ id go with a solid engine build like your describing, or find an FE3 somewhere lol. But otherswise, the stock f2t will fit the bill for all your boosting needs, weather it be tbird, 16g, t3/t4, etc.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Forged pistons, yes. conrods ,no but ARP concod cap bolts would be good.
With major failures in the F2 engine the cods will hold untill the cap bolts break, at which point the rod will still not break but bend, Either way you end up with a nicely air conditioned engine block!

Strengthened crankshaft, if you feel like it but AFAIK noone has ever broken one.

Lightweight flywheel, Fidanza make one, it won't help you make any more power but what the engine does make can be applied to the ground quicker.

Port and polish head, yes but remember that the return per dollar is low for porting on turbo engines.
Better to run a couple PSI more boost.

Upgraded cam / cam gear, yes colt cams in America make 2 or 3 cams for our engines,
so far noone has posted straight swap dyno results for them.
The cam gear is not really needed as the stock pulley (thers only one of them by the way) has enough adjustment to play with. (4 dowel holes)

Fuel injectors, well RX7 550cc high impedence injectors are theoreticall good for a tad over 400hp, if you get the right year they plug straight into the factory harness.

Fuel pump, a Wahlborough (spelling?) 190 is all that most need but the 255 is so much easier to find.
With the 255 you will need an adjustable fuel pressure reg as the stock one will not return enough at idle, causing high idle fuel pressure.

Intercooler + IC piping, a 600x300x76 will have all and cooling & flow that you need,
but fitting that large a core is a lot harder than say a 450x300x76.
With the IC piping I would go with 2 1/2" as that is more than large enough for what you are after.

Turbo, if you really want over 200rfwkw then a bolt on turbo will not do it.
The largest easy bolt on is the VF8 - VF12 Subaru turbo hybridised with the stock exhaust housing. See the link in my sig'
After that it's much more work to bolt on a better turbo on make a larger hybrid.
Watch out for SixSick6's RHB5/RHB6/RHC6 hybrid which we are eagely awaiting details on.
You could always modify the stock manifold or build a new one to accept a Garrett turbo which many have done in various different ways.

Radiator, stock replacment should be fine but a couple have used universal aluminium ones.
What ever you do don't ditch the stock fans unless you absolutely must as they are very strong.

OK now the things that you missed:
ECU, AFAIK the most anyone has done here in OZ with a Woo's modded ECU (see aus important info section) is 170fwkw with an R33 GTRS turbo.
But that was with stock injectors, stock reg, stock pump.
You could use hacks to run larger fuel injectors allong with the Woo'd mod, but it's not a particularly safe option.
You would be better off swapping to fully programmable, whatever brand you choose.

Clutch, the stock one, if fresh will hold for a little while but not for long.

Gearbox, the stock diff will break with too many hard launches, you can improve them by welding in the side gear pin but you're better off with an LSD.
The problem is that there are none available unless someone here gets together a bulk buy.
After that you will drop 3rd gear after a while, but thats easy fixed by keeping a spare gearbox around and getting good at swapping them.

Driveshafts, you'll break the CV's with too many burnouts, but the shafts themselves are quite strong.

Any lastly be realistic 200fwkw is not going to be too hard with the right turbo, injectors & ECU.
But 300fwkw has not been done before AFAIK and at that level (or below) you will blow you head gasket regularly.
This can be avoided with carefull turning, new head bolts or adapted ARP studs (flame war looming) & a good quality head gasket, ACL, Felpro, Mazda, ETC.

Remember that the F2 is a long stroke engine and to make that kind of power you will have to rev higher which places much more stress on the crank, conrods & cap bolts & valve gear.
Plus every part of the F2 engine is designed to make low RPM power, and porting, cams, huge turbo, etc will make for a big hole in the once nice FAT torque curve.

And I suggest you rethink how you want this car to run, torque is what gets you down the road faster than the other guy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wussup every1 im doin the same thing gonna rebuild my f2t nothing 2 crazy but i definitely wana b really fast i jus wanted to kno if any1 can post places where i can get parts cuz i went to almost all the shops by me and all they have iz brakes suspension etc. but NO POWER PARTS!!! helpppp so me n the person who started the thread can start building

·
Registered
410 Posts
wussup every1 im doin the same thing gonna rebuild my f2t nothing 2 crazy but i definitely wana b really fast i jus wanted to kno if any1 can post places where i can get parts cuz i went to almost all the shops by me and all they have iz brakes suspension etc. but NO POWER PARTS!!! helpppp so me n the person who started the thread can start building
I take it you are not rebuilding the motor yourself. If so do you have any experiance?

Why not just upgrade the turbo and leave it at that? Is there a reason you think your motor needs to be rebuilt?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts