Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who has done this, any tips for getting the bearing off of the shaft? I took a torch to it, tried hitting it with a hammer and screwdriver, but nothing is working. I don't want to have to perform surgery with the dremel.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tomorrow i'm going to buy a 21mm deep socket and slide it over to try pounding it off, I just lubed it up with WD40. If that fails, the dremel it is.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took it to pep boys and they put it on the 20 ton press, came off easy with that. Now to rebuild. King I need to spread some rep before giving you some more, guess I haven't been giving out enough lately.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seals were fine and with the bearing in place there was some play in the shaft. It disappeared when I put the new bearing on. When I took the rubber seal off, it looked like dogpoop in there. The power steering still doesn't work, but I was extremely lazy in bleeding the system, so I'll get around to that.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
do they just sell the bearing at a regular auto store? powersteering pump bearing? just for future reference

The seals were fine and with the bearing in place there was some play in the shaft. It disappeared when I put the new bearing on. When I took the rubber seal off, it looked like dogpoop in there. The power steering still doesn't work, but I was extremely lazy in bleeding the system, so I'll get around to that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
the 4WS pump is different in that it has 2 pumps and 2 preassure lines, when you put the pump back on, make sure you go out and buy brand new copper rings for the preassure lines, and do em up mighty tight, and id replace the seal and bearing when you're in there, (so you dont have to do it again for another *ages*). you should be able to get the bearing out wiht a vice and a hammer, if not, try and press it out with either a bearing press or a g clamp and a vice. I just rebuilt my pump and put it back in the other day, and now it works again... yay.

If you had dirt or shit on the pumps shaft maybe try n clean it up with wet/dry or steel wool before trying to push the bearing off, it may have budged over a grain of dirt which could be jamming it on.

....aaaa.aannnd now ive read the thread... oh well.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not specifically a power steering pump bearing, it's part #203F and most auto stores should have it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts