Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car with 320k miles and already at 340k! I payed 3500 for it because it was relatively clean and drove so nice! Just wondering what yall think of this deal and if anyone has more miles than me :) it's bone stock besides a straight pipe btw

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

At this age, I really feel like the value in the cars is in the condition, not the mileage. Keeping these cars moving, well-maintained, and regularly-driven results in a car that's going to be far more reliable and enjoyable to own.

I've got 191k on mine, so no where near 340k. I know there's a lot of high-mileage heroes out there, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A month ago I bought a '94 2.5 5spd with 138K miles for USD 900. I had to put a tire on it. But, I'm the 7th owner and it shows. Currently I have a bad oil leak, and maybe a bad radiator. If your 320k '94 is running happily, then even at $3500, you are literally miles ahead. Pun intended.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh, I missed the question on price....

I agree with Joe, in that if you're happy and it's running well, you're doing good. These are hard cars to find, doubly so in any decent condition.

In May, I bought my 190k '93 i4 manual for $700, but it barely drove. I've since done timing belt, coolant flush, brake/clutch flush, motor mount replacement, harmonic balancer replacement, plugs, wires, accessory belts, thermostat, clutch master and slave cylinders, I'm doing some interior and paint repair, and waiting on an alternator to arrive.... After all that work, I'll probably try selling it for $3200. I like restoring things and am ready for the next project~ It may yet convince me otherwise, though - it is an incredibly fun car to drive for a 4 cylinder FWD car, and I've put a lot of work in to get it running well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 95 MX-6 is at a mere 280K but I had to change the engine at 220K when the original one started going through a quart of oil every two days. I took the opportunity to replace it with a KL-ZE and it's been going strong ever since.
Mal_Random: can I ask how you restore the interior and exterior? My leather driver's seat is splitting along many of the seams and there's a tear in the headliner towards the rear which I'd like to fix. I'm also seeing the beginnings of rust along the bottom edge of the driver's door and quite bad rust al around the trunk lock area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 95 MX-6 is at a mere 280K but I had to change the engine at 220K when the original one started going through a quart of oil every two days. I took the opportunity to replace it with a KL-ZE and it's been going strong ever since.
Mal_Random: can I ask how you restore the interior and exterior? My leather driver's seat is splitting along many of the seams and there's a tear in the headliner towards the rear which I'd like to fix. I'm also seeing the beginnings of rust along the bottom edge of the driver's door and quite bad rust al around the trunk lock area.
The main thing I'm doing is taking out the steering wheel surround, fixing the cracks and repainting it. I already pulled all the sound insulation out of the trunk, wire wheeled everything, painted it down with POR-15 and used some fiberglass mat to reinforce a few rust holes. The car was rust free except from trunk leaks and two small spots on the rear passenger fender. My intent is for it to be entirely rust free, and to clean up some peeling clear.

This is mostly new for me, so it's also practice.

For a driver's seat seam, you'll probably have to take the cover off and re-stitch it (I did that on my MX-5 once). Unfortunately the headliner probably needs to be replaced entirely. My solution for the trunk worked out pretty well, although it's not the prettiest fix ever, it does completely eliminate the rust and seal up the holes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can find shops that will make and install new seat coverings in vinyl or leather. It's a great fix compared to having a seat that has holes and tears.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The driver's seat seams are quite badly worn and torn - I suspect they're too far gone to be restitched. Looks like I'll need to find somebody to make a new covering.

Other than the driver's door bottom seam and the trunk lid around the lock area it's rust-free. I'll investigate using fiberglass mat to address the problem before it gets too bad.

The headliner could be an issue. Hopefully it'll be possible to use a third-part material to fix it rather than have to hunt down the exact replacement from Mazda Spares.

Thanks for the pointers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts