Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Look under the hood at all the labels; it will tell you if you have R-12 or R-134a. I'm not sure when the change occured but 93s have R-12 and 95s have R-134a.

I would highly reccomend that you let a shop with the proper equipment do this unless you are very familiar with air conditioner service and repair.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You should have R-134A. Its cheap, few bucks a lb. Like Mts3 said just take it to a shop recharge should run around $50 or so. I had mine evacuated a recharged for like $110 and my 94 has the 134A. About 20-30 min of that 110 was labor cost while it was being evacuated which you wont have to do. You'll probably spend about $25 bucks trying to do it yourself and may just waste the money if your not sure what you are doing.

Greg

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
in addition to that it's against a federal law to vent a/c r-12 refridgerant into the air. You're supposed to let a certified technician do it. Bring it to a shop and let them do it right. A r-12 to r-134a conversion kit is average 40 bucks it's the labor that gets ya. Call around in your area.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm having the same problem....I can buy a bottle to refill it off of J C Whitney, but where does it go in????? Diagram would help...I have r134a

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can get a can of 134a and a hose to tie into the LOW PRESSURE line for $10 at the local parts house. If you don't know which is the low side, it is the bigger of the two lines. Take off the plastic guard at the hood latch and you'll see the screw on cap to the larger line. I think the probes have the reservoir by the firewall, like most cars. Just take off cap and screw on the hose fitting as quickly as possible to keep from loosing refrig. , then pierce and turn can upside down so that the liquid goes into the system. Be sure the a/c is on and blowing on highest setting. It will suck can dry in a min or two.
Check temp coming out of the vents...should be 40-50 degrees.
Don't overcharge the system! If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then DON"T. The a/c places will screw you hard if you go in looking like a dipsh!t, but if you have r12, you don't have alot of choices. If you have a leak in the system, you will prolly need to add a can of 134a about every few months, depending on extent
of leak. R12 will take longer to leak out (assumming same size leak).

N

·
0 Posts
Tempted and Tried.....

Well I came close to peforming the R-12 to R134 conversion myself but after reading this VERY HELPFUL exchange have decided to return my $40 kit.

THANKS for keeping me on the straight and narrow. There are enough axxholes out there screwing up the environment I don't want to join that crowd. This is a law I embrace.

Let's all do the right thing.:D :D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
dazed said:
Be sure the a/c is on and blowing on highest setting. It will suck can dry in a min or two.
also make sure you have the recirc on and all the windows and doors closed. you might not want to empty a whole can. i havent done any a/c work on my car but i think its an FOT system. i havent really looked at it. if so, youll want to check the pressure as you fill and as the clutch cycles, keep the pressure between 25 and 40 psi. make sure you keep the can upright, you may need to warm the can with your hands after a while to get most of the reefer out.

**EDIT: and on another note, its a good idea you didnt retrofit. the FS-10 compressor doesnt do well with r134a. you eventually would have replaced it with a ford FX-15 compressor. if your system doesnt have any leaks, this makes it cheaper to actually but the r12. another thing... you can get r12 in mexico for about $5/can... compared to about $50 here.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I converted My '93 to R-134a and the compressor seized up. I took it to a Mazda garage and they wanted $850 to fix it. So if you have r-12 take it to someone who's qaulified to do AC work

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
fx15s are very common ford compressors... you should be able to pull one off of a late model contour.

also i took a look at the ac system today... its a TXV system, not an FOT...

have fun...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also searching for the same ac recharging information. I faced another problem that was sometimes ac unexpected shutdown. I think ac users also faced such types of problems and if anyone know about best ac repair dubai service center then suggest to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts