Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Currently looking at replacing my hla's and was looking at a pair of Ridex HLA's anyone ever had them and recommend them? Or do you recommend any other brands that work better in our 4 bangers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, but, I am planning an engine swap soon, and found a cool YouTube on restoring existing hla's. The guy takes them apart and cleans them, and replenishes them with motor oil to good as new, and I plan to do this for my KL-DE boneyard find.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I rebuilt my ZE HLA's probably off the same video, the only thing i can add is DONT fill them with oil as they obviously need to fill the void and overfilling will stop the engine from rotating by hand (and they dont bleed out). Lubricate them with good synthetic oil and use a good oil for your first start as this is what will live in the HLA's for most of their life. If anyone needs a set of ZE HLA's i have parted my car and am selling the set i rebuilt a few years ago, no HLA tick from any. PM me if interested.

Reactions: valentiner

·
Registered
80 Posts
I rebuilt my ZE HLA's probably off the same video, the only thing i can add is DONT fill them with oil as they obviously need to fill the void and overfilling will stop the engine from rotating by hand (and they dont bleed out). Lubricate them with good synthetic oil and use a good oil for your first start as this is what will live in the HLA's for most of their life. If anyone needs a set of ZE HLA's i have parted my car and am selling the set i rebuilt a few years ago, no HLA tick from any. PM me if interested.
Thanks for chiming in, good advice. However, not so happy since I have a boneyard engine and wanted to use a flush blend for the first miles on it, and, I had planned on priming the oil pump using the Vaseline method, which, I didn't care if that (further) polluted my flushing blend. Is there a better way to prime our pumps then?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I never primed my pump, with that said its the one thing i never tore down so it didnt need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got some HLAs from parts dinosaur, in Seattle , only about $6.00 each. Fixed my problem . so far so good. I havnt put a lot of miles on them, maybe 1500, but no complaints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts