Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting some serious money into engine parts of this LX I am rebuilding... By money I mean $2500 to $3000... But what I want to know is when I am all donw what would be a good tire size to go with for a 1988 LX MX-6?? I do not want ungodly things either.. I was thinking maybe a 205/55R16 or 15 in that category.. Let me know what you guys and gals think...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spelling....

Sorry for the spelling errors... It's late and I am tired.. Do not want people to think I am an illiterate (spelling)or something.. Well the something maybe... LOL Take care all, I am outta here and headed off to count some sheep...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................................................................

Snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
recomendation

If your staying with 15's go with 205/60 size. The ride will be alot smoother and less tire gap between the fender. Im looking for some 16's possibly off the 3rd gen RX7s. I think they would look sweet on it. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car has 14 inchers......

I think my car has 215-65/R14's on it now.. Would jumping to a 16 inch be too much?? I would have to measure and find out, coz I do not want tire rubbage against the wheel well or the inner fender.. Nor do I want the wheels sticking out way past the fenders coz after I paint this baby, I do not want rocks and crud pelting the hell out of it... :eek:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
16's won't be too much

I have 17's in the summer; 215/40's. They don't rub unless I turn the wheel ALL the way in either direction. Also, they are almost the same outside diameter as the stockers so the spedometer is correct. For 16's a 205/50R16 would fit good. As for the wheels sticking out, that all depends on the offset. My 17's have an offset of 35mm. Should be the same for 16's. here's a pic for you http://www.geocities.com/turbomx666/mx-6_1.jpg BTW my car is lowered with intrax.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sound stupid...

Not to sound stupid but what are you refering to by offset Wayman?? What exactly is that... I think I will go with the stock height with a 16 inch tire... But alot wider.. Like you said maybe a 50 or 55...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW

BTW Wayman, nice ride... I too will be looking for aftermarket body kits when I am done.. *winks* I want the car to look fast as well as go fast....

·
Registered
270 Posts
OK I'm not 100% sure of the actaul measuring point for FWD offset, but it is basically where the wheel mounts to the hub in relation to the outside edges of the wheel. i.e. wheels with a lot of backspacing (like a RWD) will attach on the hub further towards the middle of the rim, while a FWD is closer to the outside edge. Don't quote me but I think the 35mm is from the front of the wheel to where it mounts to the hub, so more offset would mean the wheel will stick out more. Hope that answer isn't as confusing as I think it is :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nahh...

To be honest, I will take it to the BF Goodrich dealer here that has some sweet rim selections and have them tell me.. They are pros at putting great rims and tires on some sweet cars.. You should see their personal cars that they drive.. I personally like the 1972 Chevy El Camino SS the one guy has with sweet looking 5 star-pokes on it.. Not to mention the Astro van with the sweet looking gold spoked rims..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Team Loco 142s look quite nice on first-gens; I'd definitely ask you tire place if they have those :) Also I think a set of 215/50R16 BFG Comp T/A VR4s or g-Force T/A KDW would fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I personally think the Ford Probe GT rims (93-94) look badd ass on a lowered 6er. I found a guy with these on his and the Intrax springs. Nice set up. I want a set for my car

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Rims and tyres

I`m running my eurospec 626-88 with 16"x7,5" rims with 205-55-16 Michelin MXM tyres and I`m enjoing every mile a smoth ride when i`m cruising and i`m glued to the road when i`m speeding in curves

------------------------------------------------------------88 626 sedan
FE3 engine
2" lovered
Alpine head unit with 12 disk changer
2xAlpine PRA-H400 signalprossessors
2xRockford Fosgate 400x4
1xRockford Fosgate 160x4
4x Macroom 4"coax front and rear mid/high
2xRockford Fosgate RFP1408 8" midbass 4xRockford Fosgate RFP1810 10" sub

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Focal Z1's

I have 17 x 8 focal z1's with a 35 mm offset. Using 205x40 series tires. They are actually smaller than the 205x60x15's. I shoulda gone with a 215x40 or a 225x35.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tire Size!!

I just purchased Michelins for my MX-6. They are 215/60/15 with the stock rims. The tires are XGT H4 pilot series, I wanted the V4 but Costco where I live didn't offer them. These tires alone have increased my handling by far. I had on previously Toyo Proxes H4 same size and they sucked. Now I'm interested in getting the rear strut tower bar made for the '90 and up. Will be ordering that shortly and can't wait. Take care all. Plus I just installed my manual boost controller and it seems to be kick a$$. I still need to take pictures of my car for all to see, but it is stock with a few mods appearence wise. Laterz.

[Edited by jjjbowen on 03-17-2001 at 05:14 AM]

G

·
I know for a fact that 215/50R15's fit front and rear on 1st gen mx-6's. I have a set of 225/5015's That fit up front, but I'm not sure about the rear. (working in a tire shop does have it's benefits)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Having 205/50/15 will make your car look lower than with 60/15. A friend of mine has 205.50.15 with a 1" drop and it look s a lot lower than the same car with 60 series tires and a 2" drop.

G

·
What would be the best size all around in a 15 inch. My car is stock and its my daily driver. I don't want to alter the suspension or anything other than upgrade the rims to 15's. It's an 89 lx with 185/70/14's on stock rims. I just bought a set of 15x7's and want to use them. The overall diameter has to be as close as possible to stock (keep speedo accurate) but I'd like to go as wide as possible without the tires rubbing anything. Thanks for the help.

G

·
I'm not sure, but I believe 185/70R14's and 195/60R15's are about the same diameter. If this is the case 225/50R15's are damn close to the diam. of 195/60R15's. but have a contact patch of over 9".

G

·
They fit up front on my '89 and I went lock to lock with no rubbing. I believe that is about as wide as you can go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts