Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just leaving for home from work and i noticed a whining sound, as i was pulling away the alternator/charging light was on but very dim. After a few miles it went out. Stopped the engine for a few minutes when i turned the engine on again the dim light came on again. This has repeated its self 4 times now.Must be some problem with the alterator/regulator/brushes etc I'm hoping this won't mean a new alternator ...got my local bloke to look at it tomorrow and have it tested....anyone had anything similar? I know you can't go on too long like this as the battery is not getting a full charge etc........any thoughts ......adrian

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Classic Alternator fault.. Rectifier pack almost gone.. if it goes completely (constant whining noise) stop the engine ASAP... the alternator could give AC volts instead of DC.. this could fry everything electronic on the car... Stereo, ECU, CPU, etc etc

Either have it rebuilt, or get one already reconned...

John

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds well dodgy, definately one of those jobs you need to jump on......... and quick, AC voltage straight up your shirt - nice one.

Unexpected expense just before christmas, just the job.......... hope you can get it sorted without too much trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts