Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard alot of horror stories about the probe.
If these are the same motors as the probe why don't I hear bad things about them?
Is the mx6 a reliable car or is it plagued by the same gremlins as the probe?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Like most any other older car, if you're mechanically inclined and want a project, They are good cars. Plus these have a lot of potential. If you struggle to change your oil and changing spark plug wires give you an anurism, buy a newer car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I have less problems with my mazda than I've had with any other car I've owned except a 78 Landcruiser (I had it for 5 years and NOTHING broke). Any car needs maintainance, I don't think my mazda has more than it's fair share of it. It's got 337000kms on it, and does about 100km/day. I can't think of a time that it's let me down.
A waterpump, some belts & hoses, brake pads, filters, tyres, plugs. I've had the car 8 or 9 years. That's all I can think of that I've had to do, but they make all these parts for other cars as well......so other cars must need servicing also.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Look at it this way, a very high percentage of us members have upgraded numerous parts on the car. In doing so, parts do wear out quicker as we demand more from the car. We all accept problems will arise in the quest for horsies. To a mechanically minded person, it's a matter of a quick fix than back on the road. It's never a biggie. Our cars do maintain well.

But if you want a reasonably fast daily driver with no plans in mind to wind up the boost. Than the mx6 has RELIABILITY stamped everywhere you look on the car. Just like any car, they all have to serviced. Just do that every 6000kms and your laughing!

My aunty has a 88 mx6. She's just like the majority of women, she knows nothing about maintaing a car. She didnt know you had to check the oil, let alone change it. Same goes for the radiator. She would have taken the car in for a service at least 10 or 11 times in 15 years. She only just learnt that cars need regular oil changes when the motor blew up just short of 350,000km. Even ignorant daily female drivers have trouble destroying the motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't bought the car yet. I haven't even opened the hood.
I know the person selling it and he just had a new motor put in.

I know how to do most things on a car, I just heard alot of stories about probes being the car from hell.

Are all mx6's turbo???
Like I said I have not checked.
It is a 92.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No a freind of mine is a mechanic at a ford dealership.
I have been looking into this and altho they share the same powerplant, these cars could not be more different.

The mx6 has a much higher resale value and reliability rating.
Guess they should have just let the probes be built in japan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll find most of the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on the Probe related to the ford designed chassy/body over the mazda designed motor/tranny.

These motors are little tanks if you take care of them, and the mazda designed body has a much higher quality interior, and better tolerances between parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx, I think I might just add the mx6 to my list of cars i own.

BTW, Is 500.00 dollors a bad price for a 92 with a new motor?
The only things wrong with the car are the drive shafts need replaced and one of the door handles are broke.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The design of this car is very good, but at this age, the car is going to need some maintenance if it hasn't been done (most likely it hasn't all been done or there are some holes in the maintenance records..)

I'm wondering about this "new" motor. Why was the original motor replaced? Was it ran hard? I would be hesitant to buy something that has had the motor all torn apart.

But for $500, you can't go wrong if the car runs and drives ok. Avoid the car if it is an automatic; they are more prone to failure at high mileage.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
the first gen '6s were designed and built before ford started to muck around with Mazda's cars, as such one that is properly taken care of (all normal maintence) will last a long time. Just look at the number of people who have more than 200k miles on their car... that should be a good indicator of how reliable they are in general.

Further more, most first gen mx6 are not turbo(3 out of 4 based on production numbers), but most first gen people on this site have a turbo mx6.

And $500 for any car in good running shape is a good price.

Of course you really need to find out why they had to replace the motor... it sounds, suspicious.... good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts