Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know a reliable shop that isn't expensive like the dealer in the pittsburgh area. a mazda dealer in my area wanted to charge my 350 for a cv boot replacment, they wanted to replace the whole axle and they charge like 72/hour. i live 7 miles from pittsburgh in carnegie.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
well, actually that should be about right for a shop. about 2 hours labor, and $200 for the half shaft, $72/hour is a little high, but $60-70/hour is a normal labor charge for the pittsburgh area, unless you know someone, you won't really get it for much cheaper.

The $200 is about 100% markup from wholesale price, which is typical for a shop to charge for parts.

If you are willing to do it yourself, I'm sure you can get it done, or maybe you could get some here to help you out.

I would volunteer, but, um, I don't have a heated covered garage, and given the 6+" snow on the ground here, yeah....
If you can wait for warmer weather, I'd be happy to help you, since I do have a nice off street parking spot with plenty of room to work with.

And all it would cost is the replacement parts, and taking me out to dinner/lunch afterwards(cheap labor, eh? :) ) And you get the added benefit learning about how to change the part yourself -- really it isn't hard to change half-shafts.
Also, it is usually easier to buy a whole new half shaft, than to just rebuild the cv boot.

You should post in the second gen forum for more advice on how to do it yourself.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hey guys

I have a garage you guys want to use it ill help just to get the expeirience....anyway we pa sixers stick together, by the way i live in bellvue on Rt 65.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I would be up for that next weekend, as long as the roads are good then. I've got most of the necessary tools, as I had to replace the half shaft on my car two summers ago.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
cool

my name is joe, digits are (412)734-4141 call when you guy are ready...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any of you guys familiar with Monaca? Well anyways thats where i'm from and not to far from me is a restaraunt called Jerry's. It is a car-hop and I think it would be bad a$$ for a couple of us to ride in there and all park by one another, just a thought. So maybe a nice day I can meet you guys somewhere and show you the way. I have always thought it would be a good idea, what do you think??
Ken

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
primer

as long as you dont mind the primer.plan to paint in spring,but not sure when g-friend wants me to finish her mx 3 first in (house of color 114) PINK .i will not drive it once it is done....let me know im down for whatever

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hey can any of you guys replace a timing belt and water pump!! i im in north hills and pro care wants 620 to do it i can get the parts for 100 but i need someont to install it please let me know!!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
ive never done a waterpump on a six but I have replaced the one on my truck I have the haynes book if I can help I will .I do know a few people.who are very good.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
my number is posted I work nights so if you call between 12 and 4 we can talk oh I checked on parts about 140.00

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
can your friends do it i can get the parts for 100 but how much will i have to pay your friends?!?!? ALso i was wondering if you know a matt locke from bellvue??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts